NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been six months since I built this rod and I can tell you that it has become my favorite. It can handle most surf conditions and most plugs up to, but no more than 3 oz. My arms no longer get tired! I use 30# powerpro line and a penn 704z reel. Next season I will build a lamiglass gsb120 1m for heavy water. I hope that Lamiglass will come out with a ten foot tri wall soon.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Tiderunner.

Glad to hear of the success of the new custom rod you built.

Lamiglas is working on a surf series of composite blanks. They have a couple of 2 piece blanks available and I suspect more coming.

Check www.lamiglas.com amd you will find 1 piece composite factory rods available.

Send Lamiglas an email and let them know you are interested in 1 piece tri wall surf blanks.

They are very interested in what we want.

Capt Neil

available

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Capt. Neil,
Thanks for the info, I will let Lamilglass know about my desire for a 1 piece tri wall surf blank. It would be a perfect combo for my needs.

Thanks Again,
Tiderunner

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Capt. Neil,
Thanks for the info, I will let Lamiglass know about my desire for a 1 piece tri wall surf blank. It would be a perfect combo for my needs.

Thanks Again,
Tiderunner

·
Registered
588 Posts
ha tiderunner i hope you read this e-mail so that you or someone else can give me some advice on a eel stick. i won't to throw eels this year an i heard some good news about lamiglas blanks for eels. i have my lami- chunck stick,(sb1215m)10ft.-4to12oz.. i also have my lami-plugging rod,(mb1143m)91/2ft.-1to3oz. need this eel rod to complete my arrsenal, your advice is greatly appreciated....cat---i am looking for the 11 1/4ft honey colored,fiberglas so i can cut the butt off a little an make it 11ft. i know lami- has one but i don't know what blank it is.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have two custom lamiglas "honey's" they are the 136-3M "e" glass (11'6"). I was using them for over 10 years. They are a great stick but I get tried after 4-5 hours of plugging with them. I have also used them for eeling with great success. I use them now for bait but I spend most of my time with lures. That's why I built the Lamiglas gsb120-1L for plugging. Its a great rod! You may want to try the Lamiglas gsb 120-1M for eeling. It's a little stiffer and good for heavy water conditions.

Tag & Release
Tiderunner

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
cat14361

Hi,

Lots of good blank info. Keep posting!!

I just went thru all my Lamiglas catalogs back to 1996 and there is not an 11 1/4' blank listed. They are all 11 1/2".

Might the blank have been trimmed??

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
588 Posts
hi captneil i know we spoke about a rod before an i told you that someone in wantagh,n.y. would be building it for me,that rod was my lami-sb1215m. this rod works well but now i am looking forward to getting an eel rod. like you said it just might not be a 11 1/4. so i will ask joe from west end bait & tackle again to get the correct specs. it is good hearing from you an thanks alot,also keep up the good work and i hope to be
seeing you on the shinne**** star some day...cat

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
tiderunner

Hi,

Hope you see this. You might have this info but if not here goes.

2002 Lamiglas catalog, "Tri Flex" Composite Surf Series.

CSB 102 2L 8'6" 2pcs 15 # test 1/2-2 1/4 lure
CSB 114 2M 9'6" 2pcs 12-30 # test 1-3 lure
CSB 120 2m 10' 2pcs 12-30 # test 1-3 lure

I am building the CSB 114 2M for jetty eeling

Capt Neil

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
cat14361

Please let me know how you make out.

I hope the Wantagh builder is Mark, a friend of mine and a very knowledgeable person.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Capt. Neil Thanks for the Info. I emailed Lamiglas asking them about a one piece Tri-wall composite surf blank. They thanked me for my interest and perhaps in the near future they will make one.

Tag & Release
Tiderunner

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Tiderunner

In 3 weeks I will be attending th RodCrafter National Seminar. I hope that Todd Vivian, Lamiglas Product Mgr, will be there so I can ask about the 1 pc composite surf blanks. I, also, am curious to know.

Will let you knon if I learn anything.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
588 Posts
ha tiderunner i am in need of your help about the gsb1201m. a friend of mine just brought this blank an asked me to get some information for him, he wants to know what's the best way to go with this blank,spinner or conventional -eels,plugs, mabe bait. im egar to know what's your opinion an advice,don't forget to specify the reel your using with this blank. looking for a reel that makes this a balanced system...cat

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cat14361,
I have two of these rods and I like the Penn 704z and the Penn 706z Spinning reels.(they are a bit heavy, but I like them)or you can also use the lighter Stella, Tica or even a smaller Van Staal. I just happen to like the Penn's. I have been using them for the last 25 + years, easy to clean and repair and cost effective. I don't usually fish with conventional surf reels. If your friend is building this rod make sure he finds the "spine of the blank" before he places his guides. The placement of the guides is different for spinning vs. conventional and is extremely important. The specs that I originally posted work great for me. I have little to no line splap and great control of my plugs and fish. I use 6 Fuji Hardloy guides plus a Fuji Hardloy tip. I also tape my reel in place 28 " from the bottom of the blank to the cork wrapping rather than using a reel seat. (Real Old Time New England style!). This also allows me to vary the reel position from time to time.

I found a good set of specs for your friend's setup from a February 18,1993 "*************" magazine. This is for a Conventional Setup! (Lamiglas GSB 120 1M) The setup is as follows. Using 7 Fuji BNHG guides and one #12 Fuji BPLT tip.
From Tip Down
Tip = #12 Fuji BPLT
6 1/2" = #12 Fuji BNHG
13 1/2" = #12 Fuji BNHG
21 1/2" = #16 Fuji BNHG
30 1/2" = #16 Fuji BNHG
41" = #20 Fuji BNHG
53 1/2" = #20 Fuji BNHG
67 1/2" = #25 Fuji BNHG

Use a #22 Fuji Reel Seat.

Capt. Neil Thanks for the info. Keep me posted!

Good Luck Cat
Tag & Release
Tiderunner

This message was edited by Tiderunner on 3-17-02 @ 6:35 PM

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Tiderunner

Hi,

Keep an eye on the Lamiglas web site every now and then.

I have it on good source more 1 piece factory rods and blanks have been and will be announced this year.

I am still trying to complete the 14 1/2' 2 handed fly rod and 9 1/2' 2 piece eeling rod for jetties.

Have fun. I am due on the flounder boat tomorrow and the weather report *******'s. Oh well, maybe some snow shoe flounders.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
cat14361
Hi,

Been thinking about your question.

A conventional eeling stick. I am not looking for distance casts because it's hard to cast a live eel far. I would be more interested in turning a big fish especially fishing on a jetty.

With this in mind I would place the guides on top of the spine. This is designing the rod to fight fish.

If it was imperative to cast as far as possible, I would place the guides under the spine. Keep in mind that I am casting overhand.

As far as setting up guide locations for a spin rod, I static deflect each rod individually. I do not use 1 set of measurements for each GSB 1081m I build.

Static deflection is flexing the blank while you see how the line passes thru the guides and relocating the guides as necessary. You do not want the line to touch the blank while casting or fish fighting(line rub creates friction which creates snapped line).

Usually start with the guide below the tip and set it 5 or 6" below the tip. Progressively space the remaining guides down the blank.

Flex the blank back into the casting position, just before it comes forward. You can have some one hold the rod or use a static deflection tool(holds blank at a 45 degree angle). Check all guides except the stripper guide(guide just above the reel. You want the line to parallel the blank. When satisfied use masking tape to secure the guides firmly.

Now I go to the local field and easily cast a 1 oz sinker while watching how the line goes thru the stripper guide. Too far up the blank and line will slap the blank. To close to the reel and line will bunch up at the stripper guide. Find the optimum setting of the stripper guide and you will have best line path thru guides.

Sometimes you change the size of the stripper guide or add a guide as needed.

If you and your friend would like to come to my shop I will teach you how this is done and also test cast. If help is needed measuring the caster for the correct reel seat position, we can do that also.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
588 Posts
ha tiderunner cat and his fishing partner would like to thank toy for all that handy work you've done for us an hope to meet up one day on the water...i hope he's happy with this new rod because im pleased to have friends like you who can help each other...cat can't forget capt.neil...thanks alot

·
Registered
588 Posts
ha capt.neil ,thank you for thinking about that question an taking time out to write me back. i gave the info. to my friend an hope that he uses it soon before for the melts in his corner...cat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.