NorEast Fishing Forum banner
561 - 580 of 583 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
asiegel wrote:
Cracks? Oh boy, I would look for a new prop manufacturer, who made those?

Also, isn't CAT going to make you put the canvas on the flybridge if they are being such sticklers for WOT RPM?

I think all this load vs RPM paranoia on their part may have to do with the C-12 aftercooler defect. Do the other engine companies get so anal about WOT?

yup!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 ·
That is unbelievable; sounds like you have it just right, balance, power, weight and design. My boat runs 12 gal/hr at 18kts.
I am going to wait for you to get a 38 done before I pull the trigger again. So get to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Simrad Autopilot

Has anyone had experience with fine tuning a Simrad Autopilot on a downeaster (specifically Flowers 33). I am sure I had an e-mail "discussion" with a list member but I can't remember who and have lost the e-mails!
Specifically, how much rudder and counter rudder? What about rudder deadband setting. HO to HO time is too short - about 2 seconds - I think there is a way to adjust the flow thru the solenoids but not sure how to go about it. Even after autotune function boat is twitchy and rudder hunts a lot.

Conrad Arnold
Flowers 33
Bravo Zulu

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #567 ·
In the new year

Here in VT we are winding down the year and it has given me a chance to think about this past summer and next. I hope that next year we have a better summer than we had this year, it was way too short, and a few more fish would be nice too. I can't believe am looking forward to getting back out on the boat already.
Happy New Year to all.

This post edited by oneblitzen 08:01 PM 12/28/2009

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #571 ·
powderpro wrote:
Are there any updates or new pictures of the Flowers 38'? Has there been a 38' built or in the process of being built?
Ken has his first order for a 38 and that should be rolling out the door soon, he needs to complete the top mold and then the hull and top is going to a builder down the coast to be finished as a lobster yacht. I believe he is working on a deal for a second boat but that one is not confirmed. It appears that people are starting to come out of the woodwork, Ken is backed up till July with new builds.
There is a 38 hull in his shop that he is building the top on and a bunch of molded parts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Blitzen, I think it was mentioned in one of the other threads that the 38' is just a 36' with two feet tacked on the transom? Is that right, or is the 38' a different mold than the 36'? Mainely if you're following this thread please chime in as well.

Thanks guys for feeding my obsession and ruining my productivity level at work.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #573 ·
HC,
When Spencer Lincoln designed the 36 it was designed so that Ken could strech it to 38, so yes the 38 is a streched 36 but how Ken is doing it I don't know. That was one of the things I was going to look at when I go up to see the finished 38.

·
Registered
371 Posts
It would seem a lot easier to build a 38' mold and design a plug to go in the mold in order to make a 36' hull. I would be interested in seeing how the 36' is stretched to 38'. There are a number of ways of going about it, but going from 38 down to 36 would seem easier to me.

This post edited by powderpro 03:24 PM 01/06/2010

·
Registered
60 Posts
oneblitzen wrote:
HC,
When Spencer Lincoln designed the 36 it was designed so that Ken could strech it to 38, so yes the 38 is a streched 36 but how Ken is doing it I don't know. That was one of the things I was going to look at when I go up to see the finished 38.

Thanks. I'll be really interested to see what the performance figures are on the first hull, depending on what the power is. Basically how it stacks up against a NB 38.

This post edited by HCCane 06:20 PM 01/06/2010

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #576 ·
Always looking to go bigger.

I had the chance to view Ken's new 38 and thought some of you may enjoy the pictures. This boat was just shipped south and will be finished off as a high end cruiser.
Not sure I could swing another boat but the extra two feet would be nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #578 ·
This is the first 38, the 36 was designed to be stretched to 38, and Ken has a two foot extension mold that he uses to make it longer. If money grew on trees in Maine I am sure he would have done things differently but at the time it made more sense to make the 36 mold with the option to make it longer.
It hurts even more as he just sold the second 38 hull and top, someone will always want just what you didn't plan on.
Lobster, if you want to consider building another boat I would be more than happy to offer you a ride on my boat. I think it would work very well for you.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hi John, One of the other fishermen in the harbor is talking bigger boat. He knows alot more about the different boats than me but he wasn't aware of the 36. He has a BHM 31 and is also a Spencer Lincoln fan. Going from 31 to 36 is a nice step up. He also wouldn't go to big since he works the boat by himself. Kens Website still needs to be upgraded so I'll probably try to get him hooked up on this thread to see a 36.

561 - 580 of 583 Posts