NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...let me start by saying that I am stupid when it comes to building rods, as I have never built one before. The only thing that I have done is restore a couple of rods (they were only cheap rods, and I did a half ass job of refinishing them), as experiments. If what I am trying to ask here makes no sense to anyone, I don't blame you...LOL.
Right now for Cod, I use a Ugly Stick Tiger Rod. The model is a little worn off, but it looks like BWD 2202. It's a 7 foot medium-heavy rod. If you're not familiar with this rod, it has a strong backbone, but a "fairly soft" tip. I wanted to try building a rod similar in action to this. I didn't want to spend a fortune...just want to do it to have a rod to use that I actually made!(hopefully in the $100 or so range.)
I went to the local shop that sells rod building supplies, and they said that they don't carry blanks that can be used for Cod. They also said that they don't know of any manufacturers that make Cod blanks anymore. I figure that there has to be someone that makes blanks, because the custom rod builders need to get blanks from somewhere!!! (They also said that I would be better off just buying a Rod already made. I told them that if that is the case, I would just keep what I have, since I'm happy with it.)
Can anybosy give me any info on locating a blank similar to the rod that I have now?
OK..so if there is somewhere to get a blank (I hope)...what else do I need? I know that I will need eyes, a reel seat, and grips...but exactly what is recommended? Like I said...I don't have a ton of money to work with...I don't need anything fancy...just something I could be proud to have built myself. :)
Thanks for any info you can give me, and be prepared for more questions in the future...LOL.
Thanks again!!!

~spinfreak~

This message was edited by spinfreak on 2-26-02 @ 7:52 PM

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...but like I said...I have a rod that I use now, and I have many more if I wanted to use them. I wanted to build a rod more for a project, than for any other reason.
Thanks anyway and tight lines!

~spinfreak~

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
spinfreak

Hi,

Many of us have gotten into rod building for the same reason as yours.

There are many blanks on the market that can be turned into cod fish rods.

Go to www.rodbuilding.org On the left side of the screen is a list of vendors. You can check them out and get valuable rod component info.

Call Clemens Tackle at (610)395-5119 and ask them to send you their catalog. Pages 3-6 have great info on how to build a rod. They sell balnks, components, supplies and everything you need to build a rod.

There are many other companies as well. Most are very willing to help in choosing a blank and components.

What ever you decide to do buy the best components you can. After many hours of dedicated work you want it hold up for a long time.

I just priced out the components (wholesale) for a 7' cod rod (many others uses also)and it came to approximately $150. This does not include thread, 2 kinds of epoxy etc.

Do you have a means to wrap the guides on and also rotate the rod while the epoxy dries?

I hope this helps.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.