NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When this board was first started some of us discussed the benefits of knowing who in our respective areas would be fishing the same offshore areas on the same days in case of any problems etc.

Does anybody have any suggestions how to impement this. It could be as simple as a list of members and their boat names or an actual posting a day or so in advance (post on Monday - This is Blue Ayes Wednesday at 5 am leaving Moriches for Coimbria channel 68 celll 1234567) you guys get the idea. Anywat post some thoughts and lets see if we cant come up with something that will make it a little safer for all of us (especially those of us who go offshore midweek, it can be very lonely outthere if you have a mishap)

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Gerard

A few months back a member named Gerard was making a list of names and areas that we fished.We were all e-mailing him this information but I never seen anything come out of this.
GERARD, are you out here?

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Blue Eyes,
You're kidding right? I've never been out there when we were catching fish that there weren't loads of other boats around. The only time we've almost been by ourselves is when we fish east atlantis or veache's canyons. Even then there is almost always a couple of othr boats around.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Safety in Numbers

Makomike-

There is no such thing as being too safe. Overconfidence breeds complacency, remember that!

It was an excellent idea (IMO) a while back and I think that it is an even better idea on second thought!

I would suggest that we come up with a simple chart that uses abbreviated descriptions of the general areas/inlets that various members sail out of. Place these in columns on something resembling an Excel spread sheet.Break these up to reflect individual calendar weeks with Sunday as the first day and the week ending on Friday. Those wishing to post when they are going offshore need to list their names on the appropriate day they are sailing with their approximate sailing time, area they are going to fish (again a coded system would be good), target species, and their expected return. Additional info to exchange e-mail addresses or phone numbers would be a thought.

We would need George to provide the web link to this document and someone to update it. Another possibilty is that one of the members volunteer as a "recipient" of the info and then add this info to the spread sheet, and add it here as an attachment to a regular posting.

I throw my hat into the ring if need be!

Keep in mind that good practice is to file a float plan with friend, family or the CG anyway, when going off shore.With some system in place here, that would be accomplished, as well as creating a communications network out there to keep everyone in touch with what is being caught, what lure, bait, sea conditions and ultimately might lay the foundation for some new friendships!

BTW- PAULIE- did you get your boat back yet? I saw Neal start that new motor yesterday morning. It started before he hardly turned the key! You should do real good with them 200 ponies pushing that boat! Good Luck this season!

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Mad Mahi

Yes I got the boat back today,took it back to Seaford.Took it for an hour long ride in the nasty weather but it sounds great.Thats the same size engine I had on before.Would of liked to go for twin 4 strokes but for now its out of my league.
paulie

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Mad Mahi,
If you are that nervous about you ability on the water and it makes you happy, go for it. As a practical matter I doubt it will work, plans change too often. If I were planning on fishing tomorrow, I couldn't tell you where I would be going until I talked to the guys who fished this week.

·
Registered
384 Posts
MakoMike:

Why are you so oppossed to something like this? I've got a friend that runs a 31' Bertram out of Mystic. When we're heading offshore, we give a shout out to a couple of other boats that we have a relationship with just to let them know our general game plan, what channels we'll be monitoring, and stay in contact with them trhough the day. Last year we had an engine problem, called a member of our circle. Within an hour they were providing assistance to us (granted they didn't break off a hot bite to lend a hand, but the idea of having reciprocal relationships with other fisherman proved invaluable that day).

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Mahi,
Don't get the wrong idea, I'm all in favor of keeping in touch with others while on the water. I do it all the time and regularly call other boats when I'm offshore. I just don't think the system you guys are contemplating is likely to work as well as you hope. Things just change too quickly. Besides the weather, the bite moves from place to place and if I say I'm going to the tails today and I hear the hot bite is at the dip, don't strain yourself looking for me in the tails. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hiya folks I have been checking this website out for a while now and so far seems pretty good. Turned some boating/fishing buds onto it as well with good response.

Mad mahi
I notice you mentioned filing a float plan with someone including the coast guard. I was told by the marine police and seen it on TV. The coast guard does NOT except float plans. They will not take responsability of our whereabouts. Just an FYI
safe boating

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hope you guys dont mind my 2cents. Seems as though keeping a log of where everyone fishes or where everyone would be is a tough task. I know my self I may move or change my game plan on the fly. I may get in the truck drive to the marina while thinking about goint to point A, leave the dock and go to point Z. The only thing I can think of is picking a chanel that we will all know and see if any Noreast-ers are listening or in the area etc.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
FLOAT PLANS ETC.

This is getting complicated, too much so! If George could set something up so anyone fishing out of a particular inlet, i.e. Jones, Shinne****, etc. could post a message as to whereabouts (app.) they would be fishing, what they are going after and app. times and returns as well as their boat names and/or call names. This would keep it simple. Give a friend a call when in trouble or just to say HI!. List could be deleted after a period of a day or so. If going out, give a shout to who you know, or are aquainted with right away, this way you know if their plans have changed. SIMPLE but SAFE!

I.E. Hipshot on the "NO SEE WEED" heading 12 mi. SW of Shinne**** app. 0900hrs. Sat. 6/22-return app. 1500hrs. 23' Steiger cuddy.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
George,
I'd appreciate whatever you can do! It seems a simple way to keep people safe. But to keep it even simpler, it should be limited to boats going say 10mi. offshore or more not just going out the inlets to fluke fish or something. Just a thought.

·
Registered
621 Posts
buddy system

now that everything is falling into place offshore I'd like to revisit the buddy system theory..I dont claim to have all the answers as to how to set it up, but its a great concept..i personally run a 26 foot regulator out of brooklyn and will be making as many offshore trips as the weather and wife allow me...feel free to e-mail me to discuss this further
thanks for listening
Max
[email protected]

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Idea?

How about the people on this site pick a radio channel to check in with being that plans change by the minute.
example... channel 74,shout out for anyone from nor east on this channel running off. Just an idea...
paulie

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Common Channel

A common channel is 68,however when I'm offshore I switch up to 78.It cuts out all the guys inshore and it seems theres alot more serious fishermen on it doing the same thing I'm doing and less playing around.

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
I'm a bit confused. How will a page on a website help with safety?

For starters, I'd say that a good 50% of the time, what we plan to do and where we plan to head somehow changes from the moment we go to sleep the night before to the time we arrive at our destination. A simple change in the direction of the wind can make any captain plot a total new course for safety and comfort reasons.

The ultimate "buddy system" is the on-going communication with other boats leaving from the same inlet and/or fishing the same location. There hardly is ever a full 60 minutes that passes by when we don't communicate with someone we know on the radio. The conversations always include questions like;

"how far off are you now?"
"how many more miles do you have to go?"
"what's your compass heading?"
"what's your depth now?"
"how far have you drifted from where you started your slick?"
"Are you still hooked-up to that fish?"
"What's your top loran numbers?"

The idea is to give others a general idea of where you are fishing and what you are up to. The ultimate buddy system includes the gaining of "respect" on the radio and back at the dock. When you achieved respect you will find that more and more other boat owners will communicate with you on the radio. There are often times when we hear boats shouting out for help because they are taking on water or are coming in on one engine. Nine times out of ten, another vessel will reach them in less than 20 minutes on the weekend and less than an hour during the week.

We are very fortunate to have this brotherhood out on the ocean. It's an "unofficial" buddy system that seems to work fine without compromising "secret" fishing locations, techniques, etc...

I can almost guarantee you that most serious offshore captains will shy away from posting their "float plans" on the internet due to a long list of reasons that there is no need to get into. More important, without the ability to update that information as it changes minute by minute, it is virtually useless sitting on the internet.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Alot of us out there fishing offshore have been doing it for a number of years now and have made a few friends to communicate to over that time.However,by reading these postings the last two years I see there are alot of new guys just starting out on the offshore scene.DOCTOR FISH is right about trying to plan a safety sheet with names and locations,things change on the way out there in the morning.I suggest listening to channel 68 or reach someone on 68 and go up to another channel to talk.Offshore I usually go up to 78,its a quiet channel used for specific questions,not like the chatter and nonsense on 68.After your out a few miles go up to 78 and ask " is there anyone out there from nor' east".We've been helping each other out here for a few years now with techniques why not while we're on the water.Lets use channel '78' as our club channel.It will make a number of new offshore guys feel a little safer.It might even save a life.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.