NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine , who is an avid hunter, gave me three beautiful bucktails , all taken in the past few weeks. I would like to use these to tie my own bucktails. In the past I've used store bought tails , are there any special requirements to prepare these for use? I would like to dye a porttion of the hair using Ritt dye. If anyone has any experience in the preparation of bucktails I would appreciate your advice

·
Registered
959 Posts
Seamaster,
A couple of guys I know have managed to get hold of deer tails & as far as I know they used it straight up without any special preparation...although, I don't think they're tying flies...pretty sure it was all used for bucktails on plugs, metal slabs, jigs, etc...
Ritt should work OK, but you may want to allow for some fading...

Jerry Vovcsko,
East Bridgewater, Ma

·
Registered
5 Posts
Seamaster,
We split the flesh and pack it in salt for a while. That draws all the moisture out and cuts down on the smell. Any permanent hair color will work. Sometimes I bleach the dark hair first so more of it takes the color. The bleach can take some of the stiffness out of the hair so I usually wait until I have used all I can of the good hair and then dye the rest.
J.B
4fishin.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Seamaster,
We split the flesh and pack it in salt for a while. That draws all the moisture out and cuts down on the smell. Any permanent hair color will work. Sometimes I bleach the dark hair first so more of it takes the color. The bleach can take some of the stiffness out of the hair so I usually wait until I have used all I can of the good hair and then dye the rest.
J.B
4fishin.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.