NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need thoughts,insights,experiences,etc. about using bucktails in the surf. Specifically recommendations about weight, size/profile,
different types (smiling bill's etc). I am an
a Sandy Hook area plug surfcaster; thinking about
giving bucktails a hard try this spring; instead
of just using them for a few casts and switching
back to my Gibbs. Looking for info from the Frank
D's of the world and associates. Thanks
Richie Moe

· Registered
327 Posts
Buck tails in the spring

Now that the Bass season is open, I will tell you that bucktails are one of my most favorite lures to use in the surf. In the spring I like 0.5 oz. to 2.0 oz. jetty casters or smiling white bucktails with a piece of white 5 1/4 " pork rind. This lure when thrown in moving water near structure (rocks, rips or jetties)can be deadly. Retrieve this lure slowly with a short jerk of the rod tip every three or four turns of the reel. Then get ready for a bump that you'll remember. In the fall I like to use white bucktails with red/white pork rind.
Bucktailing for the new surf caster is a inexpensive way to learn how to cast and retrieve lures. When you get good at it you can work your way up to the more expensive bombers, poppers, etc.

I took a friend surf fishing this past Friday May 10, 2002. I am teaching him how to use bucktails, reading a beach and reading a rip. He caught his first real keeper, a 36" striper. I caught 8 stripers up 34" he caught 2 at 32" & 36" all using bucktails. (See photo below, courtesy of surf caster David) My friend is on the left and I am on the right. Next week I will take him out to learn how to fish with chicken scratch bombers with teasers.

Tag & Release
Tiderunner

Attachments

· Registered
215 Posts
Tiderunner,
I notice you guys are wearing gloves. what gloves are you wearing? How is the sensitivity when you cast and do you have a problem with the line cutting into the gloves?

Thanks
Space

P.s maybe i can come next week also for the teaser & bomber lesson. Do you mind posting a pick and maybe giving a little info on the method that you rig the teaser and bomber?

· Registered
327 Posts
Gloves

I was wearing a pair of 10 year old neoprene "Glacier Gloves". They have both the index (casting) finger and the thumb of both gloves with a fold back velcro catch. This way you can cast with your natural finger and tie knots. Sometimes they are too warm and my hands sweat. But it's great to handle spinney fish without stabbing yourself. My friend Joe was wearing just a simple pair of rubber gloves with the index finger cut out. Glacier gloves are great in cold water and cost about $40.00.

As far as using a chicken scratch bomber with a teaser, it's pretty simple.
1. I use a pre-made 34" dropper teaser rig with a barrel swivel tied to my 30# power-pro line using a double palomar knot and I use a snap to connect the 6" or 7" chicken scratch bomber. I also crush 4 of the six barbs for faster release of the fish.

2. I like to fish 2-3 hours before and 0-3 hours after high tide. I like using these bombers especialy in the fall.

3. I like using them about an hour & half before sun-up and around sun-set.

4. I find nice structure that holds bass such as the WE II pocket, Turtle Cove or the Light in Montauk.

5. I fan cast from right to left then left to right with a slow retrieve. The teaser just adds a little more excitement to the fish. It give the appearance that the bomber is chasing the teaser, so the bass will want to get in on the action. Experiment with various colors, i.e. white, yellow, black, etc.

6. Once the sun is up I switch to poppers or bucktails depending on what bait may be in the water.

I am sure you will find 100 other guys fishing the same lure differently, but this seems to work well for me.
(See photo of Chicken scratch with teaser.

Tag & Release
Tiderunner

Attachments

· Registered
293 Posts
Teaser set-up

Tiderunner - the 36" teaser seems kind of long. How long of a leader do you use to the plug? Also, is the leader for the teaser attached to the same swivel as the leader to the plug. Do they ever wrap around each other? Thanks.

· Registered
291 Posts
Hey porgyman,
If you goto to STRIPERSURF.COM They have articles and pictures
on how to set-up teaser rigs.
Look at the ones for red gill teasers.
Also some tackle shops sell teaser rigs already set-up with a teaser on it.
All you have to do is put your lure on the end.
When you goto stripersurf.com
checkout:
#1 Articles
#2 fishing tips
#3 surfcasting 101
Lots of good stuff to read.

Local #1049

· Registered
327 Posts
Teaser

The total length of my leader is 36" the teaser is attached via a dropper loop. The teaser rarely wraps itself around the leader. You can get them at Causeway B&T for a few bucks. Also when I said a double palomar knot I meant that the loop through the swivel should be ran through twice. This prevents the power-pro line from slipping.

Good Luck

Tag & Release
Tiderunner

· Registered
473 Posts
Thanks Tiderunner

I'll try that knot , I also set up my teasers the same way, you just have to be carful when tieing the teaser leader if you get any kinks in the line it may affect the teaser action and makes it more likely to tangle. Its the best teaser set up I have used and makes it very easy to change teasers w/o ant knot tying

· Registered
327 Posts
Bucktails keep me busy this spring

This year's spring bucktailing for bass is exceptional. The bass seem to be bigger and more abundant this spring then in the last few years. Most of my fish since May 8 have been legal size up to 20 1/2 Lbs. All my fish have been caught on bucktails in the Field 6 and WE II area. The fish in the below photo (May 24 2002) are 34" 14 1/2 Lbs for my nephew on the left (first time surfcaster) and myself 41" 20 1/2Lbs.

I wonder if the mild winter kept some of these bigger fish around? Any thoughts about this? Or is this an example of a seasonal cycle for these fish?

P.S. Does anyone know where I can find black bucktails?

Tag & Release
Tiderunner

Attachments

· Registered
1,156 Posts
Black Bucktails

You can dye your own, or make your own. I tried it this winter. It really helped pass the cabin fever, and they came out pretty good even if I must say so myself. Now I only hope that the fish think so.

· Registered
327 Posts
Black Bucktails

Thanks for the reply. I never have used them but I have seen them used once before at night with red pork rind and they seem pretty deadly. I'll give Causway a try. If not I'll try dying them myself.
Thanks,

Tag & Release
Tideruner

· Registered
44 Posts
HI TIDERUNNER, I'M NOT SURE OF WHERE YOU LIVE BUT THERE IS A TACKLE STORE IN FLUSHING QUEENS ( PRO FISHING TACKLE) THAT I PURCHASED 2 OZ BLACK BT'S FROM BEFORE, GIVE THEM A SHOT. 411 SHOULD BE ABLE TO HELP , IF NOT WRITE BACK AND I'LL SEE ABOUT A PHONE NUMBER, NICE FISH ,
STAY WET BENNYBASS02

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.