NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have seen bucktails that go up to 16oz and i was wondering if anyone out there has tried using them for cod. any results? if i can get my hands on one before my helen h trip i would like to give them a shot.

· Registered
1,057 Posts
Pescador, I've heard of guys using big (8oz. & up) jigheads with big 6-8" curly tail grubs for cod with good sucess, but I'm not sure it would work in a deep water application (more than 100' or so). I also see alot of guys using a bucktail teaser tied in above their jig. If I'm not mistaken, that was the rig that the Helen-H provided to people in need. The pink hair teaser seemed to work well. I wouldn't try too many experiments on the HH. Use the proven jigs/teasers, fish hard and concentrate on your technique. It seems like the few trips they've gotten out on this winter have been tough.

· Registered
2,756 Posts
I've used grouper And halibut jigs with 8 inch grub tails 10 to 12 ounces
They cast good,sink fast and work great
Especially if you cast up tide and reel them slowly while bumping the bottom.
Only one problem You loose alot of fish because of the fixed hook.
The concentrated wieght in front of the hook causes the hook to wear a hole in the fishs jaw when the cod is helicpotering as you reel it up, and any little slack and the jig comes out.
If you can find a big jig head which has a swingin hook with a swevil it would cure the problem

· Registered
3,049 Posts
I have tried 16 oz jigheads with big grub tails and while they look great , haven't had much luck with them in deep water. They don't hold bottom as well as a straight angerman jig but do look deadly. Maybe in shallower water they would work better ,I would try them again on Georges.

Bob

· Registered
2,371 Posts
Pescador248...Deep jigging with large bucktails has been around for a long time, and its very popular down in the Gulf Of Mexico for grouper fishing, and out in the Northwest and Alaskan waters for various rockfish and halibut. It happens to be a extremely effective method for caching these bottom fish.

Sam843, gave a excellent post on the problems in using the bucktail in deep water for codfish. These fish will helicopter up off the bottom, and the fixed hooked almost becomes a hook disgorger as the fish fights its way up, or just wears a hole in its mouth, and the jig falls out when you put slack in the line.

Codkiller, also pointed out that other lures such as the angermann jig, just hold bottom much better which is the key in fishing areas with hard currents and deep water.

If you were at the BASH, one of the speakers, DAN DIAMOND of DIAMOND productions, makes custom extremely high quality large bucktails with a swinging hook for striped bass fishing off of Montauk and Orient. At this time, HE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT I KNOW that makes extra large sized bucktails with a swinging hook. This is what i would use. You want that swinging hook if you are going to use them for cod. You will noticeably lose less fish with these jigs. Just ask the charter captains on the east end who striped bass fish about the swinging hook bucktails.

The only areas i would use the bucktail, would be when fishing Nantucket shoals. Again it is a extremely effective lure, but like every other cod jig in are arsenal, it has its time and place. Along with the Angermanns, Crippled Herrings and VIke style Norway jigs, they are a excellent lure to bring along. Carry a selection of twister grub tails in 6 inch size, in white, strawberry, grape, red and glow.

You can also make your own custom 'bomb' style cod bucktails using various squids, and rubber tails. Again, you want to make them with a swinging hook and this might be a better way to go, if you want something, like a bucktail grub jig for cod.

Captain Harrys happens to carry these larger bucktail jigs, due to his specializing in grouper fishing tackle

CAPTAIN HARRYS

(This post edited by togmaster on 02/10/2003)

Attachments

· Registered
2,756 Posts
Noise might be the factor in deep water cod fishing

The jig and grub worked for me in shallow GB waters.
In deep water like the GOM I think the cod home in on the jigs by the sound of the clanking of the swevils and hooks against the jig and the jig pounding the bottom they follow the sounds until they can pick up the jig by eye.
The jig and grub don't make that much noise so in deep dark water it
doesn't produce for cod unless you tip with bait so it leaves a scent trail like they do for groupers and halibut.
Light only goes down like 150 or so feet and the last visible color is red which looks black down deep.
The cod find their food by smell,electrical fields or by sound.
The augermann jig that EC showed at his presentation at the bash had alot of metal hardware on it making look like a pretty noisy jig.
This just a theory of mine.
You guys can try puting a noise maker like the rattles that are used on jigs and spinner baits in freshwater largemouth bass fishing and see if it makes a difference.

· Registered
24 Posts
bucktails should work

On a recent trip to Sitka Alaska, we brought 16 oz. silver bullets to use jigging for Halibut. We fished in approximately 350 to 400 feet of water. Used a TLD 25 with 100 lb. spectra. We were able to jig up approx. 20 Halibut up to 70lbs in a couple of hours. Yellow eyed redfish also came up. The captain (nicknamed Halibut Don) had never seen a silver bullet and was amazed.

My sense is that the bucktails will work if you can get them down to the bottom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.