NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year Everybody!
Has anybody got any ideas on how to get your rods and reels on an airline with out being damaged. Any nice carrying cases, is there a protocol I should be aware of. Or has anybody have a dont do list!
I just booked a spring trip with my family to Islamorada for a weeks vacation down there.
PS. If you have any ideas on things for the wife and kids to do while they are there, that would be great.

Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
262 Posts
There certainly are hard rod cases available from Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, and other tackle outfitters that will carry your rods, they?re not cheap though. You could also find some long heavy duty mailing tubes. Check your airline too ? many have extra costs for long items like rods.

Years ago (pre 9/11 and before they were X-raying / inspecting checked luggage) I flew to Florida with some rods ? they told me that I?d have to pay extra if I took rods (oversize baggage surcharge). I asked about skis ? no surcharge, even though skis are just as long and heavier. So I took a beater pair of skis, carefully tied four rods to the skis, wrapped it in clothes and towels that I needed to pack anyway, and threw it in my ski bag ? no charge. Try it ? worst that happens is that they get wise and you have to pay the surcharge.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Hutch wrote:
There certainly are hard rod cases available from Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, and other tackle outfitters that will carry your rods, they?re not cheap though. You could also find some long heavy duty mailing tubes. Check your airline too ? many have extra costs for long items like rods.

Years ago (pre 9/11 and before they were X-raying / inspecting checked luggage) I flew to Florida with some rods ? they told me that I?d have to pay extra if I took rods (oversize baggage surcharge). I asked about skis ? no surcharge, even though skis are just as long and heavier. So I took a beater pair of skis, carefully tied four rods to the skis, wrapped it in clothes and towels that I needed to pack anyway, and threw it in my ski bag ? no charge. Try it ? worst that happens is that they get wise and you have to pay the surcharge.

Checking skis for a springtime trip to Islamorada might raise a few eyebrows.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I thought the exact same thing, but no one said a word!!! ;)

If they had looked they would have seen that the skis didn't have bindings, I had no boots, no poles, and the edges were dull as heck.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Few things

First check with your airline what limitaions you are under, check sporting eqipment. Some only allow you up to 80" in total rod tube length and weight limit of 50 pounds per checked item.

I have this and it's called a Bazuka tube, it, adjustable and padded at both ends. When measured out for 80 Inches and the pin in the proper place for that setting it comes our to 79 inches. If you want to max it out at 80" just slide it forward to 80" and drill a new hole for the pin that comes with it. The tube can hold up 7-8 rods with out any problem. This will limit you to a 6' 6" rod.:mad:

Do not lock the tube, they will cut it off. Just see if you can get an extra pin so they can open up the end for a visual inspection.

I would suggest that you put your name,address and phone numer on it also plus make a small sign for the opening end that states FISHING RODS please hande carefully.

I would also suggest that you take off your reels and either pack them or put them in your carry on if they are expensive reels.

Tackle like leader material, knives, hooks can be palces in the Bazuka also to max out the weight.

DO NOT PUT HOOKS OR KNIVES, OR ANYTHING SHARP IN YOUR CARRY ON!! They will have to be packed in your checked items.

Check weight limatations on your checked items, each item is allowed up to 50 pounds. Some airlines will allow you up to 70 pounds per item but charge another $25 for the extra weight per item. Checked items for domestic flight usually allow 3 checked and 1 carry on per person, some only 2 for checked items so again check with your carrier.

Cabellas, Bass Pro and sometimes even Sports Authority will carry these tubes which run about 60 bucks but you will have it a life time.
We just went through the same problem on the Mag Bay trip.

This post edited by baywatch 03:00 PM 01/03/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
perhaps you could speak with the manager of the hotel that you are staying at and u.p.s. your rods down. i do that when i go to the in-laws and always works out fine. i'm sure any hotel in islamorada would have dealt with this situation before. just a thought.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Go to Noreast charter section around page 24 or so on the Magadelan Bay trip.

Shipping can add up fast.$$$$

I did leave the line on my reels, 8 of them, when traveling on this trip.

This is a quote from the Mag Bay thread.

Reels - Line

The airline DOES NOT inspect your checked bags, TSA does.
The airline DOES NOT inspect your carry on, TSA does.

I have not had any problems in the last few years traveling with line on my reels.
Just make sure if you are fishing with braid, you have a topshot of mono that covers the braid.
Occasionally you will get a TSA agent not familiar with braid and might make a stink about it.
What they don't see, which is allot, they don't question.

Print out the part from this web page that has this part
TSA
"Tackle Equipment - Fishing equipment should be placed in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and dangerous. Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage."
and carry a copy in your carry on bag.

This post edited by baywatch 03:03 PM 01/03/2008

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about the Missus?

Great Tips Lads<
Bay Watch the Bazuka Tube seems a great way to go I will go measure the babies.
What about the wife and Kids? Anything too keep them amused?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
reefbouy wrote:
Great Tips Lads<
What about the wife and Kids? Anything too keep them amused?
Thanks

I would go to the4 Fishing Destinations forum and ask there, you will probably get more reponces.

I can tell you that ther is a place about 15-20 miles south of where you are staying where your wife and kids can swim with some dolphines. That takes up a day while you fish...lol for them anyway. Just need a car to get there.

I would do a search for Key Colony Beach in the Keys and see the surronding sites for what they that have to offer.

I had the website for them but that was many moons ago. Great experience for the kids and the wife if they like water and large fishies.;)

Best of luck and have good vacation.;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
when I went on my honeymoon I picked up a traveling rod tube and brought it w/ me I took a 7'6 rod and had no problems ,I had to pay a little more at the airport to bring it but I was fine w/ that .I threw my reel in my suitcase.This was all before 9/11 of course so I dont know if it has changed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.