NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sat. is flattie day!
Weather report is good!
Anyone have any tips or new ideas up thier sleves for this season?
I think I'm going to fish with more clams and clam chum, I tryed that last year did well.
Also considering dyeing the clams yella!
huh huh? If you guys see any flounder with yellow lips , he's been over by me!
I checked the regs.
11" 15 bag.
11" aint that funny. you catch say 2 11" flounder for the day boy that'll hit the spot when you fillet those babys.
with all the tinkering with Fluke every yr. why not do something with this, should be like 14" bag of 8.
Anyways go get them Capts.
And stay out of my lucky spots!
Alan

· Registered
416 Posts
Hello Alan,
( Or should I say Capt. Alan, now that you have your boat back !!!! ) I used to go fishing out of Freeport with the Capt. Doug party boat. Take Swift Creek to Baldwin. Usually lots of Flounders in the canals. Also, going west in Reynolds Channel, right past the Wreck-Lee bridge,( not sure of spelling ), some call it the rail-road bridge, is Island Park. Very good Flounder fishing in that area also. For bay fishing, I think 11 or 12 inches is fine. My best day for Flounder last year was in June. Went for Ling a little past the Mud Bouy. Went to bow of the boat and casted out past the piece with squid-head. Nailed 5 flounders, 14"- 17 1/4". Point is most big flounder are on the outside, but most flounder fishing is done in the bays and creeks. 11" limit is much more reasonable. In any case, GOOD LUCK this coming Saturday !!!!!!

SEAWOLF

This message was edited by SEAWOLF on 3-14-02 @ 11:00 AM

· Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seawolf,
thanks, Im all ears when it somes to people sharing info. on honey holes, thanks.
the Island park RR bridge is a new one for me allthough I did work that area as a kid I since forgot.
Didnt notice Capt. Doug's boat this year on Woodcleft, still early maybe he's getting it ready or docks elsewhere.
I was out today, just got in matter O fact couldnt get bait till Richie showed up @ Woodcleft around 11:eek:o , tryed for a blackfish swift creek bridge for 1/2 hr. managed 1 crab. Ohh well i'm ready for the flatties Sat. weather permitting.
have fun,
Alan

· Registered
416 Posts
Alan,
Capt. Doug went strictly charter last year, and from what I know now, has become the Miss Freeport V. I always liked Doug, and if he couldn't find anything else, he always found Flounder.
Take the first cut-off to the left after entering Island Park. Check depthfinder for depressions ( honey-holes ), and have a blast !!!!!

SEAWOLF

P.S. When I said Swift Creek, I might have meant Long Creek. It's been a while, and I can't remember. It's the first right after Woodcleft Fishing Station.

This message was edited by SEAWOLF on 3-14-02 @ 4:46 PM

· Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always get Swift & Long creeks confused also, theres a new sign up @ Hudson says little swift creek. I guess thats that creek that meanders to the 1'st Meadowbrook past " the cut" never new it's name. Only been boating the area for 26 yrs.
One day I'll get it.
I know where your talking about by the tresele

· Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A bad day of fishing beats a good day of working , he he he love that one.
I just dont want to get sick, wet and deal with the boat's cover in the rain ect..
Oh boy I sound like a wuss . Im sick of getting colds lately to be honest. I think Im going to shoot for Sunday, I'tll be the better of the 2

· Registered
8 Posts
hey guys (and gals) after watching the weather reports all day,we said,"what the ****,let's go". so we get a little damp.we'll check j-bay along floyd bennett and if we get 1 each ,it'll be great. my mouth is already watering,thinking as to how i want to do up that flattie. oh yeah we'll absolutely be out there sunday too....i'll be posting.....good luck all!

· Registered
10,661 Posts
Hi all,

Since I'll be at the Lindenhurst Fishermans Flea Market tomorrow I am going to wait till Monday to catch some flounders. Might even do both the AM and PM trips on the Shinne**** Star.

Gotta try out 2 rods I made for the occasion. Will have a 3rd one once the guides arrive.

Looks like typical flounder/St Pats Day weather.

Happy Fishing to all.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

· Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
capt. Neilf,
Doesnt it Though. every year flounder opening day it seems to rain. Last year it rained & was COLDER.
High tide JI area, 8:53 am, the weather report calls for improving conds. towards afternoon accord. to AOL's homepage.
Maybe it will be OK just cloudy, flounder like cloudy.

This message was edited by Scalawag on 3-15-02 @ 9:33 PM

· Registered
1,057 Posts
Alan,
Flounder fishing in your neck of the woods has been a tough nut to crack the last couple of years. The fact that there is only one party boat in the area sailing for flatties on opening day (I think the Lou) is not encouraging. But to be a fisherman you have to be an optimist so I'll offer the following advice. Fish the drain in sea dog creek. On a sunny day, the mud flats warm up and as the tide floods the water warms up. This warm water pulls out grass shrimp on the ebb, and if the flatties are there, they'll put on the feedbag. I've had some real good days there in march. You need to be careful getting into the spot as it is a trench surrounded by shallow water. Most big boats can't get in there at all. As for bait, nothing beats fresh bank mussels early in the season. I repeat, nothing!Good luck, and post those reports.

· Registered
416 Posts
Gama,
Once Porgy season starts, and we're more inshore, I also target Fluke the same way. The Fluke boats, (obviously), stay away from porgy areas, but just outside of the pieces, fluke are laying in wait for smaller porgies to stray off the piece and join them for lunch. I cast out maybe 100 ft. off the piece and reel back along the bottom, using squid and spearing. Almost a guarantee to take home a couple of flatties, along with everything else.

SEAWOLF

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.