NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The MRAC meeting at the DEC Bunker has ended, and the disbelief among the fishermen from the recreational sector cannot be described in this post.

The most restrictive summer flounder and scup bag, and season limits were put on the table and the numbers will basically force a number of fishing businesses to decide whether it is feasible to fish in Long Island and New York waters anymore for these species.

I am withholding the numbers that were given to me, awaiting further confirmation due to the seriousness of this issue.

I will tell you that:

Blackfish will be locked in at 4 fish-

Saltwater License is coming with two fee schedules to be decided on-

Summer Flounder- Literally 'doormat fishing'....

Scup- A handful to put it nicely....

Within the next few hours I should have more detailed info which I will post here.

A very sad day for the recreational fishermen in New York.

EC NEWELL MAN><

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Not just NY. The license is coming everywhere and scup and sea bass are managed on a coastwide basis, so NY shouldn't be any different from any other state in the scup management region. Sea bass should be the same up and down the coast. Fluke? what's a fluke?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mako M....you would have a better idea since you work on the RI committee....It's so bad, that I want to make sure I have the correct info!

EC NEWELL MAN><

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
fishin4fun wrote:
It's going to get to the point where no one is going to follow the restictions and it will be a free for all. AKA Anarchy!!

you are correct.....at what point do people just say, i am taking what i want????? :confused:

glad the business of fishing is a distant memory for me :(

This post edited by Rodwinder 07:14 PM 01/22/2008

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
You are probably correct w/ what you heard, Steve. In fact, the first eight options were the only ones available, unitl the advisory committee got the last two added. It is truly pathetic that the DEC is onlt interested in how to reinforce the persecution of the NY fishermen, and not lift a finger to try and solve any of the dilemas.

Paul

·
Registered
579 Posts
EC NEWELL MAN wrote:
Mako M....you would have a better idea since you work on the RI committee....It's so bad, that I want to make sure I have the correct info!

EC NEWELL MAN><
EC

Sounds quite omnious

Hey Mike,

Out with it, how bad is it? Am I selling my house and moving to Florida just to fish?

Looneytunes
Dave

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I arrived late due to another commitment so I didnt hear anything about tog and it wasnt on the agenda as we voted on the regs at the last MRAC meeting. Fluke and scup for sure are painful.

For scup we are stil working out the framework sa its NY CT RI and MA together. Its looing like 10 fish at 10 1/2" from 5/24 to 9/26 for shore bound and private boat anglers and for party/charter mode fishing, the "bonus season" will be like 44 days with 45 fish. OUtside of the bonus season there will be a 10 fish limit as well. All for hire fish will be 11"

Fluke is jsut sad with options ranging from a 39 day seasn with 2 at 19 1/2 to a 110 day season with 4 @ 21 but we did not vote on a specific option here yet. There was talk of looking into a split season as none of the options presented can accomodate the hot fishing on the East end the West end and the Sound....

Its a very sad state of affairs:(

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
wow, that scup amount is horrendous...how do they decide which "44 days" does a party boat customer get to keep 45 scup? I know I like to catch em up in June in Buzzards Bay, but then if it's 44 days end of May through June, then what do the NY guys do when porgy fishing gets real good later in the summer into fall? Would each state get its own 44 days?

I can't believe these regs....having worked as a deckhand for years both full time and part time and seeing where this is going, it is really sad. I do feel for the guys trying to survive in this business, unfortunately, just like the recent stock market, a shakeout is coming Very sad indeed:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Correct. My backyard is literally littered w/ fluke, and I may loose my house, two boats, and all of my savings because I am not allowed to offer a viable fishing trip to my clients.

Paul

·
Registered
579 Posts
Enviros another step closer to ending fishing

reelfisher wrote:
I arrived late due to another commitment so I didnt hear anything about tog and it wasnt on the agenda as we voted on the regs at the last MRAC meeting. Fluke and scup for sure are painful.

For scup we are stil working out the framework sa its NY CT RI and MA together. Its looing like 10 fish at 10 1/2" from 5/24 to 9/26 for shore bound and private boat anglers and for party/charter mode fishing, the "bonus season" will be like 44 days with 45 fish. OUtside of the bonus season there will be a 10 fish limit as well. All for hire fish will be 11"

Fluke is jsut sad with options ranging from a 39 day seasn with 2 at 19 1/2 to a 110 day season with 4 @ 21 but we did not vote on a specific option here yet. There was talk of looking into a split season as none of the options presented can accomodate the hot fishing on the East end the West end and the Sound....

Its a very sad state of affairs:(

Looks like I will be selling the house and moving to Florida just so aI can fish.

If this doesn't end partyboat and charter fishing, I don't know what will?

This ought to bring at least some attention to bad science. Not that it will do much but:(:(:(:(:(:(

Looneytunes
Dave

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
ctwhitechin wrote:
wow, that scup amount is horrendous...how do they decide which "44 days" does a party boat customer get to keep 45 scup? I know I like to catch em up in June in Buzzards Bay, but then if it's 44 days end of May through June, then what do the NY guys do when porgy fishing gets real good later in the summer into fall? Would each state get its own 44 days?

I can't believe these regs....having worked as a deckhand for years both full time and part time and seeing where this is going, it is really sad. I do feel for the guys trying to survive in this business, unfortunately, just like the recent stock market, a shakeout is coming Very sad indeed:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Each state gets to pick its own 44 day period, if it works as it has in the past. So MA will take 44 days in the spring and NY probably 44 days in the fall.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
LooneyTunes wrote:
EC NEWELL MAN wrote:

EC NEWELL MAN><
EC

Sounds quite omnious

Hey Mike,

Out with it, how bad is it? Am I selling my house and moving to Florida just to fish?

Looneytunes
Dave

Nothing is set in stone yet and probably won't be until the ASMFC spring meetings. Looks like scup will be 10 fish a day with a bonus season for party/charter, like John said. Sea bass will probably be 15 fish. Fluke may be state by state or by regions, and which they choose will determine how bad it is in what area. Wait until next year! I'll bet we don't even have a fluke season!

·
Registered
27,361 Posts
interesting how the DEC just added a bunch of new ECO's last year and now they are slashing the regs to the point where people will be pi$$ed off and poach. Ought to be a big increase in summons revenue next year.

Also, how much additional pressure do you guys think this is all going to put on the stiper stocks?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.