NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any luck trolling "Braidrunner" lures for tuna?

If so, what size is recommended, (5" or 7") and what color. Also, which hole do you connect the line to?

Any information in this regard is appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
826 Posts
You want to catch fish troll them..........

The size i use all depends on what size spreader or dredge i have.. i like to troll to spreaders off my long flat lines and usually troll them behind the flat lines even though i troll a flat line, med flat line, and long flat line....

My short flat lines are always some small-mediums hoos with several different skirts over them.

The medium flat flines are alway the briad runners set to about 15ft which i believe without looking at one is the third hole.. they run deep and i put them underneath! the spreader bar!

These work so awesome!!!!!

Make sure you run them under and just behind... chances are they will not make it to the spreader bar and you can also make the spreader just a teaser which we sometimes do from teaser reels since they do not need hooks and the braid runner normally gets the knock down!!!

Well work it but i would also try to use a nice ring on the hole instead of a direct connect with a swivel.. i normally like to run them with some light cable because they do produce nice HOOSSSSSS!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sportfishingusa, thank you for the information.

Two more questions for you:

1. What color Braidrunner do you prefer; and

2. Does using a wire leader reduce this lure's effectiveness on tuna.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
Marc, I can't comment specifically about those Braid lures, but those type lures, which have been around forever, do produce. I don't know if you were at the Tuna Seminar conducted by Captain Harry at the FTC, but he went into some detail about those type lures, and the success he has had with them. If I recall correctly, his largest Big Eye to date was taken on one flatlined right off the transom. He retired that lure after that fish, but had it to show everyone. Not sure if it was rigged with mono or wire. I prefer wire on my cedar plugs flatlined off the transom, I think they tend to run better.

In regard to running bars, whatever works for you great, but I don't flatline mine, quite the opposite in fact. I run them off the riggers trying to keep the bars themselves out of the water.

MakoMatt

·
Registered
826 Posts
Matt is correct in the manor of the spreaders.. I troll about 4-6 spreaders sometimes depending on the season and date and i sometimes have to put them on medium flat lines.. but i make sure they are on 7 ft trolling rods.. and the braidrunners i tend to put on bent puts in the medium also to stay low..

The cable doesnt make them run low it is good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.