NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usally bait fish in open ocean. I've been using 20# mono and after catching all these big blue fish, my line is "shot". It gets all kinky and it digs into the remaining line on the spool. I have to change my line every time I go fishing. When I baitfish, I use a weight on the bottom style rig with a tight drag. I felt that I had an advantage with the stretch in the mono because when the fish strikes the bait hard, the mono causes it to spring back so this would keep the hook from coming out of the fish's mouth. Does anybody have an opinion? Also, what brand names are preferred for a 20# to 30# braided line? Thanks for replies.

This message was edited by surfjerk1 on 11-24-01 @ 8:31 AM

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
I switched over to power pro 50 on my penn 320 reels, the diffrence is very noticable. The sensetivity is incredible, and it is the diameter of 12 mono. I think all the "spectra" lines are the same quality, and berkley fire line is ok too. And the strech will still be present to some degree with the leader.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like the Power Pro lines, however, the sand seems to degrade the ends of the line. You have to keep cutting it back when you notice it starting to fray. If not the line will break under strain. It's still better than the other braided lines I've tried.

·
Registered
272 Posts
surfjerk,, go with 50# or even 65# braided on a conventional,20# or 30# are too thin they dig deep into the spool. 30# works great with my spinning gear

good luck, leo

·
Registered
272 Posts
surfjerk,, go with 50# or even 65# braided on a conventional,20# or 30# are too thin they dig deep into the spool. 30# works great with my spinning gear

good luck, leo

·
Registered
198 Posts
Surfjerk, I use PowerPro and Fireline 50 on just about all my larger rigs. Both are good but I think I like the PowerPro slightly better. The line will fry from rubbing the last eye on the rod when casting so it must be cut back about 4 feet or so each time. It will outcast, outcatch any mono (and I love mono). It is far more sensitive and will promote hook ups due to quicker hook setting. Beware of birds' nests!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use powerpro myself. I'm very happy with the cast distance and strenth, but taking out a tangle after catching a skate or dogfish is next to impossible, :( I keep forgetting to rig up a "shock leader" of mono to make it less frustrating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.