NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Attach a 25 foot shock leader of 50# mono. Ande pink or Berkeley Big Game will do fine. Join the shock leader to the braid with a double uni-knot. Attach a 100# black barrel swivel to the end of the shock leader to tie on your terminal rigging.

The shocker leader will allow you to untangle a line alot easier, give you more abrasion resistance then the braid and prevent to possiblility of the braided line spooking the fish.

Al G.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Forget using that long piece of mono!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will defeat the purpose of using a non-stretch braided line. We used to catch cod with dacron line, so I don't think yer white line will hurt that much. Next time try some power-pro 50, that stuff is LOW visibility. You should be pleased with the increased sensitivety of the braid. LATER

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have caught many a cod with the white tuffline for cod up north. The leader that your jig/bait rig has is just fine. I have the 65lb line & the fish were not line shy. I also use it eeling for bass & never had a problem with them being line shy. I am not a fan of using a long or any shock leader with super lines to begin with. You should not have any problems with it.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I will go with rodprof on this one. The short length of mono gives just a little bit of stretch which may help keep a lightly hooked fish on, provides stealth and it much easier to cut, tie and untangle in the event of a tangle. Some may disagree with this, but in my case, I can toss the jig further with the mono top shot than I can tying the braid straight to my swivel. One other piece of advice, MAKE SURE that the boat you are going on permits braid. A few of the codfish boats now have an idiotic no braid policy.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Fear No Fish wrote:
I'M going on a cod trip on saturday and i spooled up with white tufline i want to know if the white line will wpook the fish or not?

Hello Fear No Fish,
I prefer the smoke or green color instead of the white. But if you have the white tufline ? Have no fear because you can buy a permanent black or green marker and paint the first few feet and you are good to go. It?s that easy! ;)

Also, Rodprof (Al.G) provided a solid advice too. If the water is gin clear (typical during winter months), I?ve had great success with adding a few feet of mono! This is a great solution for untangling ease and the slight mono stretch adds some insurance when fighting a big cod!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
fear no fish,

When I fish for cod on party boats I like to start with a 10-12' length of 80 lb jinki leader with a 100lb swilvel between the mono and the braided (power pro). The 10' section is nice because when you have a small fish you can crank in all the braided and grab the mono and haul up the fish (small cod, dogs, etc) without waiting for the mate. Also tie an overhand knot in the mono so it will break before the braided line, if you hang up.

Good luck

Capt. Marc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.