NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any ideas for a fish finder on braided line. The plastic ones get sawed from the line. I have been using this setup (see attached jpeg). and I was wondering if it was ok?

Thanks
Matt

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Mike,

How are you? My drawing is flawed, I connect a swivel (sampo) where the hook is in my drawing, and than a 50# flouro leader than the hook. So the initial swivel is connected to the braid coming off the spool on the reel.
Is that right or should the swivel with the weight on it be somewhere else?

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
831 Posts
Doing fine, matty. Naw---as long as the swivel is at the end of the braid to stop the sinker from sliding down onto the leader, I think it's fine. That wasn't clear from your drawing, but was when you explained it.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
I've tried the swivel/swivel fishfinder and it seems to twist and wrap around itself too much.

Egg sinker works well, though hard to change weights and no holding ability in any kind of surf other than flat calm.

I'm afraid the plastic loop is still the best way to go, even when they get "sawed" from the line. Just buy the plastic part in bulk and change them when needed.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
338 Posts
When fishing braid with a fish finder setup I use a 40" mono 40# shock leader. This should be long enough. The disavantage to using all braid is that you: 1:run the risk of cutting yourself badly with the line so close to the fish's mouth.
2: the plastic fish finder rig will wear out with braid as well as wearing out the wax coating on the line thus causing it to fray and weaken. However when fishing bait I perfer to use all mono.
For those of you who are new to fishing with microfilament line (braid). There are many advantages. 1: Nice hard hook set, no stretch.
2: smaller diameter than mono with increased strength. (See Photo comparing on top my 20# Berkley Big Game to my 30# Power pro with a 8#lb diameter on bottom) 3: little to no memory in the braids thus preventing spool ups. 4: great with buck tails and poppers
Disavantages: 1: very expensive when compared to mono 2: can cut you to the bone if your not careful 3: limited knot use (Palomar, uni-knot)
4: May damage your guides if using off the rack rods. 5: Can be difficult when using pencil poppers. 6: Occasional wind knots. 6: Need a sharp knife to cut braid, never use your teeth, and never use it to floss with :) I enjoy using the braided lines but there are times when mono will be the line of the day.
Tag & Release
Tiderunner

This message was edited by Tiderunner on 1-27-02 @ 8:21 PM

·
Registered
43 Posts
Use a high rig. dropper loop in the middle of the the leader material, which is where you loop your hook though, and the weight on the bottom. Use 2 swivels, one with a snap for the sinker, the other to attach your main line to your leader.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Matt
You can splice the mono to the braid using a uni-knot to uni-knot and double up on the braid. (Power pro line will slip if you use an improved clinch knot) Or if you don't mind having your fish finder rig with a 40" leader you can use a small barrel swivel. As I said earlier I find using all mono for bait easier and with less head aches. That why I'll fish a plugging rod with braid and bait rod with mono.
Good Luck
Tag & Release
Tiderunner

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
I use an Albright special to connect leader to braid. Double up on the braid.

·
Registered
843 Posts
matty Blazer
at the end of your brad tie a spider hitch or a
bimini twist then a palomar knot to a barrel swivel & a duolock snaps.next one or two ft. 50lbs a barrel and a duolock for a fishfinder or
a high/low rig .

·
Registered
80 Posts
Matty....the answer that I found works fine is get rid of the fish finder(plastic) and replace with another small duolock swivel....so you have your braided line coming from the reel.....that is thread through eye of first duo lock.....then tied second duo lock or barrel swivel depending on how you prefer to connect your leader and hook... which holds the leader and hook set up......using the duolock instead of the plastic fish finder solves all the problems....no chaff on line, no cuts in plastic , no cuts after repeated casts in the knot that holds leader......sorry no pictures but I think I described well...I hope....

I have used this before I ever used braided line maybe 5-7 years ago.....I always found some of the plastic sleeves to be imperfect....they had little nicks and stubby ends that in my mind could chaff and nick up the knot that holds the leader connection(swivel)...tried little beads and what not but found this to be simple....so I changed over a couple of years ago after reading about it in a magazine.....

try it ....works great...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.