NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we've talked a lot about braid line, but considering the search mechanism on this site hasn't been reinstituted, I would like your feedback. So PLEASE bare with me.

How would you rate these line and can you give some reasons why you feel the way you do:

1. Fireline
2. Power Pro
3. Tiger Braid
4. Spider Line

I'm looking to buy something in the 20lbs test area, and would appreciate all your feedback. Thanks so much.

Soundfisher

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I've only used two of the brands you listed. I tried the original Spider Wire braid from back in the day and didn't care for it all that much. Last year I started using Fireline and fell in luv with it. It worked great for bottom fishing especially for blackfish. I used the 30#. It is fairly easy to use and casts pretty well. Haven't had a problem with it yet. I also tried lighter versions for inshore fluking and even for flounder recently. The stuff is pretty amazing, but takes some getting used to and you must be careful with it while spooling it on and casting. A little hint, after you've made your cast pull on the line so you get to strip a little off against the drag(never set the drag too tight) and you shouldn't have many problems.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Used powerpro, fireline and spiderline, and for my money, the powerpro is the line of choice. I use 50 and 30 in the surf, 20 for fluke and 12 for weaks and fresh water. My reason is that I have found the powerpro to have more abrasion resistance than the other two. LATER

·
Registered
206 Posts
line

i've been fishing for alot of years and always used mono. Can someone tell me the advantage of these other lines. Mostly i fish for fluke and have been pretty good at it. Is this line stuff just another marketing scheme to sell to fisherman.

thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have been using fireline for the past few years and thought it was really good. The color wears off to a silvery gray after a little use and seems to fray a little. Using power pro for the first time this year and think it's better that fireline. I have used the 65# power pro on three codfish trips without any problems at all, not one breakoff even when dragged under the hull a few times. I will be using the 20# and 30# for stripers in a week or so in the housy, give me a shout back and I'll let you know how I made out.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
I started using Fireline last season and love it!

I'm trying some PowerPro 20# and 50# this seaon for comparison but I don't expect to switch. One problem I've seen already with PP is the color fades fast! WHile that doesn't effect the line strength I'm not happy about using such a bright line.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Braided line

Using the 50# power pro, which has a 12# mono diameter equivalent. This stuff feels good in your hands, casts really nice, does not wind up on you, and is also great for bottom fishing. This stuff is made with spectra fibers--they use this stuff in spectra shield bullet proof vests, this stuff is tough. Have not had any problems with it on my surf rod, and this stuff is nice and supple too. Takes a little getting used to if your switching from mono, but in my opinion, its the way to go. Two things though, you can't use a fish finder with this line--when casting--if the fish finder has the plastic channel for the line to go through, cause the line will cut through it. And if your going to use this line for casting with any force, put medical tape--from genovese etc...--on your line holding fingers, cause this line will cut into your fingers!!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
MAIN DIFFRENCE

The power pro is a oval shaped line. Meaning it wont cut your stainless guides. this is a big factor in braided lines. the older spider and firewire and whiplash which is all the same company will cut your guides over time. but speaking to a Berkrly rep at the suffern show he says that the newer design will be ovaled to prevent guide problems. Also whip lash is made in 60lbs. and up only. The fire wire is the lower range 6lbs to 50lbs. he stated.But the same company , the diffrence is one is braided and one is a single strand. I find the power pro the best to use out of all, and have tried many. the only thing which happens with the power pro is when reeling in you must cross the line. if you don't it tends to dig into the grooves on the spool that are open.For plugging 20lbs. works great for casting too.
But my suggestion is to try them all till you find one you like? Thats the most important thing about fishing. find the right thing that works for you!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys...Thanks for the input!

After reading your posts, I decided to go with the Power Pro. And you know what, I love it. I've already used it throwing jigs and chunk baiting. I've heard a lot of guys don't like it when they're chunking, but I really do like it, especially its sensitivity.

As for the "no stretch," I've found a simple adjustment with the drag will prevent break-offs.

Once again, I appreciate all your input.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
power pro rules

lets just say a few weeks ago i fought a 4ft jackcrevalle from 11am until 3pm on 20lb test. the capt did not have fuel to keep chasing the beast so i finaly had to break it off and call it a day. strong, thin, resilient, little memory,and it has awsome knot strenth. I will never use anything else again...
reelcranky

·
Registered
95 Posts
Braid - Which brand

Rather than discuss brand names my feedback is this... Each of these brand names has its own unique properties. Some are more limp, more dense, thicker, thinner, etc. My experience has been that each has its own strengths and weaknesses and need to be chosen for the right type of fishing. While I like original Spider Wire because it is extremely limp & extremely thin, it can be murder when tangled, when tying knots, tends to tangle more frequently than stiffer lines, especially if using spinning gear. Having said all that, when used correctly you'll love it! I don't care for the Spider Line as it is way too thick for its lb strength and has a memory that encourages tangles on any reel type. Finally, while braid can be the perfect line for some applications, in other cases it just ain't the right type of line to use.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Braid Tips

A few things that I have found with braid:

1> If you are using it from an anchored boat, use a piece of wooden dowel to break the line off. It will cut your hand to the bone if you are not careful.

2> Certain blanks are not suitable for braid and can break because of the lack of stretch that we all love. Also, ease up on the hook set as you can rip the hook right out of the fish or break your rod.

3> I fish 10 - 20 feet of quality mono spliced in with a double uni-knot at the end of my braid. This provides stealth, a bit of stretch, allows you to break off more easily when snagged and makes knot tying much easier.

4> It's not good on spinning tackle when light lures or baits are used as it needs to be tightly wrapped on the spool to avoid "wind knots".

5> It's the best thing that's happened to blackfishing and codfishing since Loran was invented.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
7 Posts
only braid

been using fireline for 2 plus years
and love it. trying spectra this year
on a few reels. mainly cause my nephew swears by it so i will give it a try. the braids do take some gettining use
to. the sensitivity is unlike mono, i
do use 3 foot mono leader in case of
hang-ups and for easier tying lures to.
can't go wrong with the braid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.