NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using braid inshore for the past 5 years and love it. Some of my offshore stuff is due for line this winter and want to go the braid, topshot route. I'm thinking 80lb braid with 60 or 80 topshots on a 6/0, 114H, 50T and possibly a 30tw.

What brand and what sources have you guys found to be the best and best prices. I searched some old posts but could not see anything that met my needs.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about something a regular guy can afford.

Anyone using Power Pro Hi Vis???

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Dorymate2530 wrote:
How about something a regular guy can afford.

Anyone using Power Pro Hi Vis???

Vastly inferior since you can't make true loop to loop splices in solid line. You could use bimini's and/or spyder hitches but the spliced loop to loops are much mor consistantly stronger.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Makes sense. So is everyone going with hollow core on the offshore grounds??

Like I said I love using braid but this is the first time putting it on my offshore gear. Does the hollow core tend to float?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
The set up I have is 450 yards or so of 130LB JB Hollow core on my Penn 30VSW's and Avets 30 two speeds with 100 Yards of an 80LB mono topshot from BHP Tackle (basil Pappas). Seems to work just fine for YFT and Big Eye up here. The top shots are interchangeable if you need to switch it up for sharking or if they get messed up.

The JB needs cleaning every two years by taking all the line off the reel and rinsing it in SaltX or a similiar solution. Ofcourse, if your fanatical or if there is obvious damage to the JB you can replace that as well as the top shot every year.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Bryan: IMO, Hollow core makes the most sense on offshore reels. Yes, it's expensive, roughly $.15/yard(for 130lb, the cheapest of the HCores) at BHP Tackle (Basil Pappas'), but the added capacity, lower resistence, strength vs. diameter and versatility makes it worth it. Being able to loop in different leaders or topshots is a great option.

All in all, it ain't cheap compared to spooling up your 50's with something like Ande Premium, but even from me, one of the cheapest ******** in the world,........it's worth it.

I won't switch all my offshore reels to hollow core overnight as I'd go broke, but one at a time when I have the $$$ will be fine with me.

John

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys!

The JB needs cleaning every two years by taking all the line off the reel and rinsing it in SaltX or a similiar solution. wrote:

Is that something specific to the make up of the jerry brown stuff or braids in general?

Also do you make the loops just like in dacron or is the braid to slippery for that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.