NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep wondering about the loop over on eyes. It apparently is a slack issue that may be caused by the caster....or perhaps it can be solved in the rod. I do not experience this. Then again I fish my 9ft 95% of the time. Does anyone think about HOW the line issues that are experienced with braid are because the world has moved from mono to braid without adjusting the rods. How many are still using 10 and 11ft rods, a rod that they used with mono? A 40 or 50 guide works great with thick mono and memory transfer from a large reel to the next guide on an 11ft stick. Have we challanged why we need this for braid which does not have memory and comes off the reel almost in a straight line to the first guide?
I am in the process of building a rod using the Fuji concept and tweeking it a bit. What I plan to experiment with is this question.... Do we need the 50 or 40 guide. Does a 30 or 25 starter guide using a smaller diameter spooled reel tame the occasional loop over on the eyes and promote better casting? Can you avoid these braid issues with some additional/smaller guides and placement? Tests could prove the opposite.
I also hope to get better sensitivity and distance too using an 11ft blank and smaller guides.
Has anyone tried the fuji concept guides and placement or adjustments to it for the sake of braid? Benefits? Problems?

I put this up for discussion here instead of rod building because I know many surfcasters have custom rods built and am interested in user experience. It would be interesting to see some conclussive common factor for a specific trouble experienced.

I am interested in your experience using braid/brand and #, what length pole you experience line trouble with, # of guides on the pole, etc.... Maybe we can collectivly narrow down the factors which cause braid issues and build a better mouse trap.

Man I can't wait to get out!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I pale in knowledge when it comes to you guys but I have a 10ft super surf SS10MHS on hold and the offset guide, the first one from the bottom and please tell me the correct term for that guide, is smaller then usual and I was told this is the case because Lamiglas found that larger guide(s) is no longer required with braid. The guides are supposely wrapped differently too.

I hope this helps?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep the pieces of the puzzle coming

10 weeks to go... let's put this puzzle together. Starting to shed some light.

Janus- of all the Lami 11' 1pc I was looking at I was going with the SS. It is the lightest and thinnist of all the 11' blanks unless their numbers were misprinted. When I brought it to someone attention they said I should call and double check before ordering the blank.

This post edited by ihavegills 03:21 PM 02/05/2008

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you're interested, I built a Lami SSU 1201MHS last week as a field test rod. The deal was that if I paid for shipping of the blank, build it within 30 days and report on it then it was mine to keep. Not a bad deal. I completed a field report this past Sunday. I wrote my report and forwarded it to Lami yesterday. I tossed around the idea using the Fuji concept guides but after a few conversations with others I decided to go with Fuji BSVLG's instead. The rod is sweet and has a lot of back bone. However it's a little early to tell how it will handle a big fish. But my guess is that it will do real well. If you like a copy of my report I can email it to you.

Steve

This post edited by Tiderunner 06:13 PM 02/05/2008

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
You can down size the butt guide a little. Butt guides have been shrinking as line technology has improved. I have old rods with 70mm butt guides.
The memory of the line is one factor, but also that the line spools off from the side of a spinning reel, so there?s still a need to corral the line in, just not as much with braid.

Steve, if you don't mind, I'd like a copy of your report.

·
Registered
726 Posts
i use a 9"ft for almost every thing. i read someplace that fiberglass ploes are becoming more popular with the use of braid line because of the no stretch factor with braid.the poles are a hybrid of graphite and the top 6 to 8 inches of fiberglass

·
Registered
999 Posts
I was toying with the idea of getting the new Lami SS in a 9ft model. I saw it at the Farmingdale show and wasn;t too impressed (but then again, who am I to say). Here's my question: What's the deal with the amount of guides as if made for a conventional reel? I'm not sold on the SS yet. But maybe you guys can convince me...

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
MatthewPaul wrote:
I was toying with the idea of getting the new Lami SS in a 9ft model. I saw it at the Farmingdale show and wasn;t too impressed (but then again, who am I to say). Here's my question: What's the deal with the amount of guides as if made for a conventional reel? I'm not sold on the SS yet. But maybe you guys can convince me...
that is the new fuji guide concept...supposed to be the bomb with braid...and im assumming thats what this thread is all about lol...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TR-Steve
Please PM the report.
I was told the SIC guide although harder and great for superlines are fragile and 2-3x's more expensive. It did not sink in when I was first told until they explaind how the ring itself tended to weather poorly in cold weather and battering in extreme surf, taps on the rocks , etc...caused cracks. This makes me wonder if the freshwater boat circuit in the warmer parts of the world will benefit more than the hardcore extremist surf caster from SIC. It's nice when your pushed away from the more expensive products with a good explination to back it. But something is still pulling me to go for them with this trial.

·
Registered
361 Posts
ihavegills wrote:
10 weeks to go... let's put this puzzle together. Starting to shed some light.

Janus- of all the Lami 11' 1pc I was looking at I was going with the SS. It is the lightest and thinnist of all the 11' blanks unless their numbers were misprinted. When I brought it to someone attention they said I should call and double check before ordering the blank.

gills,

Yes there was an error, I meant the SS101MHS and it's a stock item and not a blank. I know the fellow who helped Lamiglas build this rod and he said he would build it almost the same but wih a higher cost: not to mention the new shipping charges for 10" and taller rods.

I was in verbal contract with him since last year when I first saw the blank at Ramseys in Paramus and I feel if I can save a few bucks what the heck.

PS, I have the 1321-2 and this rod with the lure range of 2->6oz will help me with the larger plugs since I now know more of what I'm doing or at least suppose to be doing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.