NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright,
Ive got some spots that need " touching up " on the Whaler, most likely I'll do the whole boat being that its no bigger then a surfboard. The guy had plenty paint left & gave me the rest of the same paint thats on the boat, a score considering your not supposed to mix diff. types of bottom paints.
.Questions: Do I have to sand it even if theres no flaking, or loose paint.. yeah I think I know the answer to that.. but what I forgor is what do you use to clean the botton before applying the paint?
Acetone? or what..
thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
Last year I used a bottom cleaner that was a mild mixture of hydrochloric acid. I can't think of the brand at the moment - it worked well. I'll let you know if I think of it.

Stephen Byrne
NY Bight Editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
66 Posts
TRY this product called WIL_bond.I will never sand a boat bottom again. NO matter how many coats of paint there are. IT will take off any old hard & soft paint/oil/grease/ailge.etc. and prep the surface for the new paint. Looks like water [clear]. When I pick a used boat lord knows what his been used on the bottom; out comes the wil-bond & new paint. I have never had any problem's with it. ANY good paint store should have it.---good luck---capesams

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, good advice here. wil-bond... will look for it today at the Marine supply joint.
Nansea, I have the same paint thats on the boat now, the guy gave me an almost full can.
Steve, thanks for chiming in also.
For what its worth the I read the bottom paint can { directions} and it said to sand the hull, then wash with a soap and water solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.