NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for anyone who fished a bit from their yuk... when you see other boats on fish, or drifting a hole or something, do you get in amongst them, or primarily stay clear of powerboats. There is a good hole in Moriches I always back down from cause I'm not sure If I'm aloud near or around the channel. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would, as a rule, avoid being near boats. If I have to cross a channel to get to a particular spot, I paddle as quickly as possible over the shortest section of the channel. Like driving a car, I believe one should 'drive' defensively and one of the great aspects of kayak fishing is that one is able to often get to fishing spots that other vessels can't get to. There really are some spots that are prohibitive to a lot of fisherman that are consequently offering us great opportunities to fish. Avoid the packs, paddle safely, and you're bound to find some great fish!

·
Registered
91 Posts
You can fish in among boats, if they see you and talk to you they generally won't run over you. Most of them get a kick watching you go for a ride. They may also put a bunker snag through your nose so be on yr toes until you see who's doing what. I've stayed in close sometimes so I can hear audible fishfinders. Be on your toes around boat channels if they are active, especially at dawn/dusk and be prepared to bolt out of the way. Have an airhorn and a big light. Big sailboats usually have good skippers but they aren't real manueverable and have huge blind spots right in front. As Jon said, use common sense, you have to paddle defensively.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.