NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering at what price do you think per gallon, will fuel, have a major impact on the boating/fishing industry here? If the fuel price hits $6.00 a gallon dockside this summer, will you still be boating?
In the 70's when there was a gas shortage,gas was rationed out on land. What was the senerio at the marinas at that time? What impact did this have on the PB fleet operations?

·
Registered
33 Posts
If the price is $6.00 a gallon I am not fishing. If gas gets that expensive we might see a huge recession and possibly a depression. History does repeat itself.

Eric

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
In the 70's they used the Odd/Even days and the last number on your License plate to determine what day you could buy gas. Maybe the PBs had to use whether or not they had odd/even number of fares ??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
surfstix wrote:
In the 70's they used the Odd/Even days and the last number on your License plate to determine what day you could buy gas.

I remember those days...LOL showing our age here.

I was driving a VW BUG them, still wish I had it now.;)10 gallon tank and go for aweek before refueling, or gassin up back then.;)

·
Registered
826 Posts
I dont think gas will be that high..

I do not see gas getting that high anywhere in the near future atleast.... The problem is we do not harvest enough of our own fuel here in the states. I remember a man i worked for several years ago used to tell me about how they came out of Little Egg Inlet and drove 60 miles straight out to the RIG! OIL RIG that is... and they fished and had a great time and there was no problems.. The problems today are the coservationists who will not allow us to drill for oil in the USA as much but will fight bush over the war.. I dont understand it now,, and i will never understand how these peoples minds work.. I would defenately still fish.. If you had to drive to work would anyone quit? probably not.. This is all just a gimmicky scam to raise prices and show large amounts of inflation on everything.. This has already begun.

The state of NJ as i see it is already in a recession... I am in a business that thrives off of bad economy so it doesnt effect me as much but if my clients get hurting then i am going to be hurting which could eventually catch me but highly unlikely since they are huge financial institutions.

I think it is just like smoking... If you have a habit it is hard to give up no matter what.. When they raised smokes to 3.00 a pack i remember saying HECK NO!! i quite... now at 6.24 a pack in nj i am still a smoker! Same with fishing... It was rough when it went from 86 cents to 1.25. We all cried and moaned about it.. now it is over 3.00 and we still fish!!!!

It is a crazy ADDICTIVE EXPENSIVE SPORT!!!! One that can drain our pockets fast but is so great we continue no matter what the cost!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Sportfishingusa wrote:
It is a crazy ADDICTIVE EXPENSIVE SPORT!!!! One that can drain our pockets fast but is so great we continue no matter what the cost!

Speak for yourself but I can almost guarantee that if fuel on the water hit $6.00...A LOT of people wouldnt be fishing, or would be fishing a lot less.

Yes, it is a wonderful sport that im passionate about but most of us have mortgages, rent, children etc. that come fist...Most eople live on a budget and figure in luxuries like fishing. That said...unless your salary went up to balance out the soaring price of fuel...something in your budget is going to suffer, and I dont think its going to be the rent or your kids education.

Plus there comes a point where its a matter of principal...If a guy had a boat w/ a 50 gallon tank and fuel went up to $6 per gallon...between filling the tank, food, drink, bait and ice he's looking at $400 for a day of putzing around the bay to catch some blues. Not gonna happen.

This post edited by BLUEFISH9 10:34 AM 01/02/2008

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Eventually, and I mean relatively long term gasoline will reach $ 6.00 per gallon. Thats what europeans are paying now, so its not as far fetched as we think, or hope it is. Gas prices at the fuel docks are already at $ 4.00 per gallon, so 6 ain't that far away.

Funny this thread came up because I took a trip dowm memory lane the other day when I found a picture of me and a friend holding up fish at a fishing station fuel dock, and the price in the back of the photo read "$1.79". I remember when I thought that was expensive. :)
So if in 10 years it jumps from $ 1,79 to roughly $ 3.79, with the way demand is increasing from China and India........

I also belong to a forum/group related to my boats engines, 1.7 Cummins Mercruisers where I heard of some people in California running thier engines on biofuel. Interesting way to solve high fuel prices !

·
Registered
233 Posts
SportFish,

It would be great if we could pump enough oil out of the ground locally for US consumption and negate our dependance on foreigh oil, but unfortunately oil is traded globally in US $$$. So even if we didn't need to import it, the refineries would still need to buy it from the US oil companies at the going global rate. With countries like China and India now demanding more and more oil you'll never see the price dip. One fact I found a few weeks ago is that the US imports its highest percentage of oil from Canada. they are probably drilling at angle into our reserves that the tree huggers wont let us touch ;)

Andy

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
GradySailfish wrote:

Eventually, and I mean relatively long term gasoline will reach $ 6.00 per gallon. Thats what europeans are paying now, so its not as far fetched as we think, or hope it is. Gas prices at the fuel docks are already at $ 4.00 per gallon, so 6 ain't that far away.

Problem is, wages arent rising as at an even pace with inflation.
There was a time in my life (not very long ago) when I concidered an annual income of $60,000 to be pretty nice. Not anymore. $6 dollars a gallon will hurt. A LOT.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Well even pumping and using our own natural oil would only be serve to put a bandage where you really need stiches.
Eventually, even our reserves will run out, hence the need for alternative fuels. We will NEVER be completely independent of petro-based products as much of the chemical industry uses oil to manufacture other chemicals which are used in our daily lives.

We can however cut our dependency on oil based products significantly. Prices will continue to rise, but I think this country should invest heavily in alternative energy resources. If we become advanced in those industries we can leave China and India to duke it out over natural resources.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I am in the repossession business. We have seen a steady 20% increase in the past year. With all the mortgage ARMS coming into effect in this new year we are goign to see another large increase i am sure.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I know a lot of people myself included are downgrading in boat sizes.
I personally think we will see $4.50 on the water this coming 2008 year as an average.
Lets all hope for no major storms this year to keep prices down again.
I would think $5 gallon gas would put a hurt on a lot of people.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
GradySailfish wrote:

Eventually, even our reserves will run out, hence the need for alternative fuels. We will NEVER be completely independent of petro-based products as much of the chemical industry uses oil to manufacture other chemicals which are used in our daily lives.

Not that I disagree with the sentiment, but people have been saying the same thing for at least the last 75 years!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Sportfishingusa wrote:
I am in the repossession business. We have seen a steady 20% increase in the past year. With all the mortgage ARMS coming into effect in this new year we are goign to see another large increase i am sure.

Do you sleep well at night?

Just kidding...a guess a job is a job right?

·
Registered
826 Posts
No i sleep like garbage!

But not because of my job!! haha

It is a tough job but someone has to do it.. This is the reason i am busy and interest rates are thru the roof for new vehicle purchases. Used and new cars used to be low.. now you are lucky to get 8% on a new car let alone a new one..

But all in all you have to have a different attitude when you come into my office. It is a work environment but everythign gets left behind. My attitude in my office is completely different then real life. I am a caring person but sometimes you can not be a nice caring person on my phone lines!

After these ARMS hit i am going to be a mad house so i enjoy the slower holiday times of the year which do not last to long anymore

:(

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hey Sportfish, your job may be difficult, but i cant say i feel bad for some of the people who made purchases that extended well beyond their means. I see way too many people who have leveraged themselves to keep up with the "jones'". It pisses me off that the tax payers are the ones who will most likely absorb the losses- primarily on the ARM/ subprime issues.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
MakoMike, yes that maybe true, but please realize that the world has become a drastically different place in the last 75 years.

Lets take a step back into the 50-60-70's. The United States was the major industrialized nation. Most of the world did not rely on automobiles for transportation to the extent they do today, the population of what it is today, China, India and other nations weren't industrialized.

Now step into year 2007. The world's population is ever increasing and with it we have ever increased demands on natural resources. Other nations have rapidly industrialized and have continued economic growth in the double digits. That growth of industry also requires oil. Cars.....more then ever, and they well run of oil based products.

Demand is going up and up and despite new discoveries here and there ,there's only a limited supply of the stuff. Renewable sources of energy are what we need. As I said, we will never completely rid ourselves of the need to consume oil based products, but we should learn and develop ways to curtail its use.

Here's something from Wikipedia that illustrates my point nicely.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oilPeak Oilhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil

This post edited by GradySailfish 12:59 PM 01/02/2008

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.