NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried taking their kayak on a regular boat, then tried entering/launching their kayak from that boat ??
My idea is to take my kayak offshore with my boat, launching and then do some fishing from the kayak.
I want to use the boat as a "mother ship" for the kayak so i could fish certain areas that could not be reached by kayak due to distance or sea conditions from shore.
Anybody try this or have any input ?
thanks
Jack
Ps. boat has low gunnels so its easy to get in and out of the boat, I also have a removable boarding ladder on the boat as well (used to enter boat when scuba diving)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jack, great question..
I will be looking for any replies that may come to your question, as I too have been interested in launching from my boat.
The Kayak certainly would add alot of extra fun to boating, as well as afford us the convenience of fishing the shallows, wherever we might be.
Good Luck Bob LuckyBoy

·
Registered
266 Posts
I know they do that a lot on the west coast. You might want to check out and ask that question on there bulliten boards heres the site:

WWW.KAYAKFISHING.COM

Don't forget they've been kayak fishing on the west coast a lot longer than we have here on the east coast. Kayak fishing is just starting to become popular here.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I did that in the florida keys, but was going to shallower water where the "mother ship" couldn't get to. Careful not to get too much blood in the water...you may look like a big ol' swimming plug out there!!! Good Luck!

·
Registered
315 Posts
It doesn' present any problems once you get used to using a kayak and balancing. If I had a boat at this time I would definately do it. If you're interested Joey and I would be more than willing to join you. A SOT is definately going to be a superior choice for this.

The Malibu 2 will be a good kayak for you at first as its a wide, stable design. Just acclimate to a kayak before attempting.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the reply's

i tried entering and exiting the kayak from the carolina skiff this weekend and it is not hard to accomplish (at the dock), havent tried on the open water yet.
i have a lot of practice to do on the kayak, as i am new to kayaking, not new to fishing.
hopefully i will get a chance to hookup with you guys soon for some pointers.
once i feel comfortable in the kayak, then lets get on the boat and head into deeper water. i would be happy to take some of you guys along.
i would like to fish the tower for albacore from the kayak, i think it would be a great way to fish for albacore. i would be interested in listening to any deepwater trip ideas any of you would have.

i also have access to a 42 foot lobster boat with the stern transom totally cut out, great for launching or recovering kayaks from, my plan is to go offshore and then launch the kayak and go tuna fishing. i would have room for atleast 8-10 kayaks on the boat, and would be willing to take along any qualified kayaker. this trip would be in the fall and based upon weather conditions.
if we get the weather to go out, we will catch fish.

the carolina skiff has room for 3-4 kayaks to take along, it is more of a inshore type boat, but can handle some rougher seas. i also have a 25 foot contender that i could put 2-3 kayaks on, this boat can handle any sea conditions and is offshore capable.

let me know what you guys think, any trip ideas would be interesting to hear.

ps. what is the proper life vest to buy, i am 6'3" and 230lbs, which one will not interfere with the paddling ??
please advise, thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been taking my scrambler xt on my 22'cat boat, then launching in the area of the bay I want to fish. This summer I hope to do it off shore for tuna and dolphin. But definitly this fall for the striper run.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Count me in for all/any boat trips of this nature. We need to explore the capabilities of this type of fishing. The Lobster boat is perfect. I was going to look into renting dive boats for use in taking us out to the lumps for albies and bonita.

If you're talking tuna from the yak I've be carefull. A tuna might tow a kayak many, many miles. We could try it though one at a time using a very stable kayak like a Fish in Dive and trade off. That way the boat could follow and film the person. It would be very cool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.