NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In just got a quote for my new boat - a '88 15' Boston Whaler sport w/a 70 '01 Yamaha.
300 k liabilty
everything ele min., docked.
$ 579.00 , Boat US
Payed 1/2 that on a new 19 Car-Skiff cc w/a 90 John. 2 yrs. ago.....
The dude said its the area due to many theft claims, if in Suff. co. knock off $100.
Any suggestions on a company that might save me a buck or 2?
Alan

·
Registered
123 Posts
Dear Scalawag

Im in the boat insurance business and also thought that the cost seemed high you didnt say how much coverage was on the boat and motor so i took a shot and guessed 10,000 dollars, with 300k liability, towing etc. for me the age of the boat is more of a factor than the location your boat is 14 years old so it cost more to insure than a newer boat. The rate I came up with was $340 a year... John Ryan 516 781-5607

·
Registered
23 Posts
Scalawag
Last year had my boat on my policy thru my agent.
$400./yr . This year it will be thru BoatUS quoted
$238/full yr includes trailer, 1999 Grady 180 and 150yamaha. I live in CT, maybe it does have something to do with the area you are in , but it still seems to be rather high.
outlaw

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jboryan,
thanks... I'll call you maybe today, or mondaylet you enjoy this nice weekend,
thanks everyone else for the replys..
by the way the boat is 14 yrs. old but shows showroom new and its a B. Whaler. 1988 Whalers,Bertrams arent the same as 1988 Bayliners?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Scalawag, I hear ya on the insurance grief. My boat is a 1969 20' with a new 115 Yammie. I was quoted close to 700 bucks from Mott.
I called my Home Ins broker to see what she could do. Twenty two dollars for liability, boat/motor paid for so no comp. or theft. I would hate for it to sink but just cant see payin so much otherwise.

THANKS ALOT

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what it is is thier older boats. This '88 whaler shows new though, also older boats can be restored better then new with the epoxys of today ect. Also many older boats are rigged with new engines.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Allen,
I too have dropped my insurance a few years back once the boat and engine was paid,but when I did pay Allstate in Freeport gave me a better price than Boat/US.I was paying around $550.00 for my 25'er with a 200hp OB.
PAULIE

"Fishing with an Attitude"

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paulie,
you should really have some sort of liabilty if something happens to a fishing buddy out there.
Heck, maybe one of those threshers would whack him with his tail.
& Porbeagel, thanks for the tip.. Im gonna do a little comparsion shopping here.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks,
I researched the performance of this thing on that B.Whaler website with the prop I've got & a new 70 hp its been clocked on GPS @ 47 mph's.
Man I gotta tell you, I wasnt out there 90% of last season so I took 5 months off this year to catch up..he he he. Boats docked, What we have here is a B.Whaler/Yamaha endurence test.. I bet you I do close to 500 hrs.. all of them beating the shi* out of mt spine.. but who cares its going to be a blast. Even when I step up to something bigger{ could do it noew if I want} Im gonna keep this boat that's how nice it is, couldnt refuse the deal, see you out there guys, Cant miss me unless you blink that is . ha ha

·
Registered
619 Posts
Scalawag

That seems high to me and I live in Suffolk also.

I just purchased a new 2002 Proline with a 125 Merc. The Premium was $441.00. My local agent Dennis Day at (516) 364-5500 gave me a similar rate.

The coverage is Below:

$20,000 - Hull (500 ded)
300,000 Liability
5,000 Med Pay
300,000 Uninsured Boaters
1,000 Personal Effects (100ded)
500 Towing

BoatGuy

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Boatguy, thanks for the tip but yesterday`I scored a firm deal from JBOYRYAN who posted to this thread above.. It's Travelers insurance.
I insured the boat for 10 K
300K liabilty, towing, medical, pers. effects coverage also..
all for.. $ 350..
Im happy, and thanks again JBOYRYAN for chiming in and saving me some loot, I'll spend it wisely.
Alan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.