NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CAN SOMEONE RECOMEND A GOOD BOAT FOR ROUGH SEAS AT LEAST 21 FOOT TO 25 MY FRIEND HAVE A 21 FOOT SEAPRO I NOTICE WHEN WE ARE GOING TO THE ROCKAWAY REEF OTHER BOAT THE SAME SIZE JUST GO PAST US WITH NO PROBLEM WHILE WE GETS BOUNCE ALL OVER THE PLACE.??????

·
Registered
85 Posts
HI,ALSO LOOK AT THE CEE VEE BOATS THAT ARE MADE IN FLORIDA! MY FRIEND HAS ONE AND ITS THE BEST 26 FOOT CENTER CONSOLE I HAVE EVER RODE IN. I THINK IT HAS 26 DEGREES DEADRISE.......AND YOU HAVE TO BUY THEM FACTORY DIRECT......HOPE THIS HELPS..........DAVEY

·
Registered
109 Posts
Boat

Hey also take a look at Jupiter and OceanMaster, i took a ride in an oceanmaster last summer on a real snotty day and it rode excellent and had little spray and we stayed dry for the most part, one day I will own one, plus they have great features, lines, options, accomodations, and most importantly they are designed for fisherman with lots of ****pit, livewell, and fishold space! Check the links below:
www.oceanmasterboats.com www.jupitermarine.com

HOOD

·
Registered
985 Posts
If you really want to be amazed in rough seas catch a ride on the Glacier Bay semi-displacement catamaran on a rough day. Plows through the rough stuff without any pounding at all. These boats are an engineering marvel without peer. Very very expensive though. Like all of life, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
85 Posts
WHILE THERE ARE MANY VERY GOOD BOATS OUT THERE,ENTRY AND DEADRISE(PLUS QUALITY) ARE VERY IMPORTANT! THE MORE DEADRISE THE BETTER ROUGH WATER BOAT,BUT...........SITTING STILL YOU ROCK AND ROLL MORE. ALSO THE ENGINE POWER HAS TO BE MORE WITH DEEPER DEADRISE,BUT THE MORE DEADRISE THE BETTER HANDELING IN ROUGH SEAS. MODIFIED HULLS TRY TO MAKE UP FOR THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS,BUT I LIKE 21 DEGREES AT A BARE MINIMUM FIOR BIG WATER......PARKER OFFERS BOTH OPTIONS IN MOST OF THEIR MODELS

·
Registered
644 Posts
23.5 is the magic number

of deadrise for the stern. has to be this amount or more to have a good riding boat in the sea.
check out CONTENDER BOATS, regulator, cee vee, and sea craft.

what is also important is power, you must have suffiecient horsepower to make these boats ride properly. underpower them and you will plow through the waves instead of riding over the top of them.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Cats really Like to Get Wet

Catamarans are the way to go if you want a rough water boat.

Glacier Bay is a nice boat but it has a displacement hull. Soft ride, but SLOOOOOWWWW GO. ALso design doesn't let you raise one engine if it goes belly up. Take forever to get home on one engine.Lots of $$$$$$ as well.

A planing hull cat gives you faster top end and some do really well on one engine.

Also cats require smaller engines than mono hulls, so you can down size on the cost of the motor as well as realize some great fuel savings.

If not a cat, than deadrise is the next best thing as already stated. Look at your Contenders and Regulators. But the trade off will be in stability when drifting.

"If it ain't a cat, it's a dog!"

·
Registered
670 Posts
sea ox

They don't make them any longer,but if you could find a decent Sea OX,now that was a sturdy boat.I had a 1987 23' WAC that I had to the Mudhole,and hit a 6' head sea on return.The boat took it without a problem,although I hurt in places I didn't know I had.But it was a great boat.Now ,I run a 29'Proline,but my wife still misses that Sea OX.
Pete

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
What type of boat do you own now? How long have you been boating? I may be wrong, and if I am I apologize deeply...but a few weeks ago did you not place some posts on this website asking what to set the depth alarm on your fish finder for? Aren't you new to your area? I am not coming off strong, and this is the problem with discussion boards because my sincerity can be mistook for hostility...so again I apologize if I am wrong. But maybe it is just a matter of getting used to your surrondings, the capabilities of your boat, and gainig a little confidence in your skills before you can tear past someone else in 4ft swells.

·
Registered
27 Posts
OSPREY

I just recieved my Osprey 24 Fisherman. It is a great boat, handles the rough stuff with ease. Had a wellcraft but got scared when the waters became rough but with the Osprey there is no need to fear. Great boat look into it.
John

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bolo,
Don't think for a minute that the other 21' boats going past you are not getting pounded around also. Many owners will just accept the pounding and speed through regardless of conditions. It's all a matter of how bad do you want to beat up yourself and your boat. Some boats will ride better than others and some cut through waves and rough water better than others, but if you are pounded in a 21' Sea Pro, any other 21' is going to feel the pounding too......

A perfect example of this happened this past weekend, I was coming out of the harbor into 3-4' seas, and whitewater, heading into a 20mph headwind. I was cruising along at 15-mph, getting beatup pretty good. A 20' Edgewater comes speeding by me, I watched the boat and driver, and he was getting tossed so hard he was almost loosing grip of the steering wheel, his boat was getting airborne off of each swell. He accepted the pounding of himself and his boat, I didn't.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Sea Ox

I have a 20ft Sea Ox ctr console and I have become so confident in this boat as it has really performed well in seas.

With an 80 gal gas tank I guess the manufacturer was pretty confident too.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.