NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy an almost new 20' cc, an Angler Eagle with a 125 Merc. OB. (engine just had initial service.) I realize this is a very cheap, light, no frills boat. Still, I've been on one out to the NA on a calm day, and also in some heavy chop. I was surprised it handled as well as it did. It has 15 degrees deadrise. This will be a bay boat with good weather ocean runs. (not offshore - mostly bass/ ocean fluke) Its holds 80 gal., so I WOULD run out to some wrecks on nice days with a nice weather window. The price is right for me. The lightness of the boat is something I will have to get more used to. I, excepting my kidneys, do feel very comfortable in small boats.

Any advice / comments at all would be very helpfull! Thanks All.

...mocean

· Registered
141 Posts
merc 125

There's nothing wrong with a 20' angler cc. It's your basic entry level boat which is fine. But I am no fan of those 125hp 4 cylinder in-line mercs. They have the deal where the motor runs on 2 cylinders from 0-2000 rpms then at 2000 rpm's the other 2 cylinders kick in and they jump to 3000 rpms. First of all you lose 1000 rpms of operating range which makes it tough when you need to plow through rough water. I have spoke to several owners of this motor that weren't real happy with the setup. They don't have a lot of low end torque either. An OMC V4 will blow that merc away. If I'm buying a 4 cylinder it's definitley gonna be a V4 not an in-line. I would defintely take a test ride in that rig if your serious about the purchase.

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
~~~~~

Thanks BnB,

I test drove it once. LOTS of torque comming out of the hole. The 2nd two cylinders kick in real fast. The motor also is nice at a slow troll. I am planning to take a bunch of test rides, since I am able to do so. I do want to get in rough water and get the feel of those 1,000rpms not being there. Thanks for that!.

How is the engine reliability-wise? I know one guy who loves the in-lines??? Thanks again.

...mocean

· Registered
141 Posts
mocean ... I've always owned johnson/evinrude so I'm probably a little bias .. although I did have a 1980 90hp straight 6 merc that was a fine motor. I'm sure a lot of guys are happy with that 125 ... my brother inlaw had one on his 18ft ... like I said .. I just don't care for the setup. It's like the one that cadilac had tried .. ran on 4 then 6 then 8 cylinders ... didn't go over real well. They bagged that idea pretty quick. I will tell you this though ... if you think that inline 4 is quick out of the hole you'd be amazed at an omc/yamaha V4 out of the hole ... they are real stump pullers. If you liked the test ride that's the most important thing. On that test ride did you have the boat loaded with gear, a full tank of gas, and a couple hefty 250+ guys on board ?? That can make all the difference in the world with that inline 4.Best of luck with whatever you decide !!

· Registered
447 Posts
Mike,

From reading your origional post it sounds as though your mind is 90% made. Have a freind who has a 220f angler he actually runs down south but loves the boat. I know yours is a completely different boat. No liner?? Rolled edges??
Do you know the boats history??

· Registered
67 Posts
Comparisions

Here are some prices and specs to compare against:

2003 ANGLER EAGLE 20, 20' 4'' ,,New ultra economy value boat with 90 horse power merc engine. Best value on the market absolutely the most boat for the least money with the best quality on the market $13,811.00

2002 ANGLER EAGLE 20, 20' 0'' ,Anglers are the #1 registered boat in Florida!! NEW Eagle 20' by Angler!! Yamaha 115hp 4-stroke!! Magic Tilt Aluminum Trailer!!! Lifetime Limited Hull Warranty!! $19,900.00

2002 ANGLER EAGLE 20, 20' ,,Brand new 2002 w/ 2002 150HP Yamaha O/B ceneter console boat. Includes no-wood construction, livewell, storage boxes, and more. 7 year full hull warranty. Shipping available anywhere! $15,995.00

2003 ANGLER EAGLE 20 EAGLE, 20' 4'' ,What a great buy. A 20 quality foot boat with engine for $13,811.00

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
~~~~~

Here is the specific model in question. It has bottom paint, radio, Garmin GPS Map 168 Sounde, (no t-top), no rolled edges, liner installed. I know the owner very well, its basically brand new. Brand new condition, motor just broken in. Jay, and all, I'm only 50/50 on making up my mind. It seems like a good deal...basically, I'll be getting a new boat, with the extras, no dealer prep, frieght, or tax. One of the reasons I am attracted to the buy is that I know the history (or lack thereof).

This is the model...

http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?27001590

All neg./pos. comments welcome!!!!!

...mocean

· Registered
988 Posts
Go for it!!!

Mike,

I have a 2001 Angler 20' with a 115hp V4 Johnson. I think it runs excellent. I purchased it as a leftover and yes, the price was right. You were correct, your kidneys on occasion will take a beating. I use the boat the same way you plan to use yours if you purchase it. I have a lot of confidence in it. It's real stable. If you want to take mine out to compare between the two let me know. Afterall, you are right down the block.

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.