NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bluefish From Your Kayak

Hey,
I have a Cobra Fish*n-dive and I was wondering how to catch bluefish from a kayak. Should I use any special bait because I am more cramed in then in a boat. Or do you reccomend structure rockpiles docks.

Any tips on kayak fishing helps**

kevin

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's hard to beat a chunk of FRESH bunker for bluefish bait. If you don't want to smell up your kayak, try a Krocodile spoon. Kastmaster is a close second. Use a wire leader and choose a SINGLE HOOK model. You may even want to crimp the barb. Krocodile is a bit slower, and an excellent choice for trolling as you paddle. A Creek Chub popper, model 2100, in CHROME color is also irresistable to bluefish, but you can't troll it. That is one that you toss at a visible blitz. Lose the front hook, and consider replacing the rear hook with a Siwash. At the risk of sounding ridiculous, sometimes I toss that very popper with NO hooks! A bluefish strikes it and holds it in its powerful jaws, and it doesn't come loose until he tries to get a better grip on the plug. As often as not, when it comes loose from his mouth, ANOTHER bluefish attacks it!

Flounder

·
Registered
315 Posts
Whenever you travel in a kayak its a great idea to troll. Sometimes its the only way you'll catch fish. As Flounder pointed out single hooks are a great way to go and you can't beat barbless. I don't do this on all my lures but if there are only bluefish around I will opt for this.

I like to troll something like a bomber, etc. and I generally keep the front and rear treble on but all the hooks are barbless. If a bass hits they're generally going to hit the head and the blues the tail. When I get any fish close to the yak I give slack and more often than not the fish will come off with barbless hooks.

As to space the FnD has more than most yaks and is a good kayak for bait fishing. Chunks are great.

As to your question about popper weights its more dependent upon the tackle you're using. Just match the weight to your gear. Bluefish generally aren't very particular.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Just make sure you have some good pliers on a tether, you do not want to be wrestleing with a toothy friend in a confined space. Barbless and no trebles is best. You do not need real heavy equipment, 10 or 12 lb rig will do fine, they will pull you through the water like a Nantucket Sleigh Ride.
The fun part is when you glide into a school of blues tailing on the surface, and they don't spook ( until you raise your arm to cast ). It is a real stealthy way to fish and it is fun to slide right up to the fish.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I forgot to add that some tools are a big help. Striper77 got the pliers on a tether part. I also like a device like a Boga Grip or what I use - Berkley Big Lip Gripper. Its app. twice the size of a boga and it makes handling all fish, but especially blues much easier. Also long pliers are very nice for the gators. The longest in SS I've found are 11". The mouth of a big blue is huge and it can be dangerous getting a hook out of one. You definately want to be able to control the fish well because if you don't and something goes arrie you may find yourself in the water.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've only fished bunker chunks and when I did I used a 7/0 mustad on 6" hard wire. The type they use on the Party boats and then I attached a 12" wire leader to it without weight.

I would imagine a similar rig that you would use from a boat. If you do fish that way you may anchor. Its a good idea to have your anchor on a float and a quick release so the fish can drag you. Hopefully others who baitfish more from yaks will answer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My best luck was live lining bunker. Fresh chunks worked ok. 7/0 Gami Octopus hooks, Steelon leader looped to hook. Drift/bounce it off the bottom, if they're really turned on it won't get to the bottom. Let them them eat it a little while before you set the hook. Was getting almost 100 pct hook ups last year with this rig, corner of the mouth or thru the nose everytime. You'll appreciate how they're hooked when you want the hook back. ;) I'm sure mack chunks will work the same if they're eating macks. Fresh. Frozen doesn't ever seem to work well for me, if it's still at all frozen doesn't sink right anyway.
Jim

·
Registered
50 Posts
I fish the Peconics from my Pungo and have caught Fluke, Flounder, Stripers, Blues and Weaks and would never use bait. I troll or cast rigs which I make myself. I use very light plastics with small jigheads. My favorite is to tie a fly teaser in the front and it gives the apperance of the fish going after the fly which gets all fish really going. I will carry my camera this year and will post pictures...Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.