NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the sport with many questions. My first is: I hear bluefins
will be good in the begining of June and they come in pretty close. I will be fishing off of Shinne**** and was wondering if anyone has heard of any action? Where should we go to get some action? Also has anyone heard of the 700 line?

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Hi Walt!

Search the topics, and the answers will be revealed to you (lol). These guys can be very helpful. Keep in touch.

Chris

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Walt,
whether or not you'll get them near shinne**** depends on whether they take the offhsore or inshore route on their migration. If they take the offshore route you'll have to fish more to the east. like south of block island.
The 700 line refers to the loran secondary station 4, 43700 is a line offshore about 25-30 miles.

·
Registered
139 Posts
GOOD AFTERNOON,
WE USUALLY SEE THE FIRST JUMPERS IN EARLY TO MID JUNE,THEY HAVE TEY TO SETTLE IN AT THIS POINT AND TROLLING SQUID RIGS AND DAISY CHAINS OF MACKS IS THE MOST PRODUCTIVE.AS SOME OTHERS HAVE ALREADY REMARKED THEIR ARE ALOT OF VARIABLES TO FINDING THESE FISH,IF THEY MIGRATE FROM THE MID ATLANTIC SHELF,PROIR TO HEADING NORTH THEY WILL PROBABLY FEED ON TOP IN YOUR NY BIGHT AREA.IF YOU HAVE OPPURTUNITY PICK UP "FISH THE CHAIR IF YOU DARE" BY GREG BEECHER THIS CAPT,HAS WRITTEN PROBABLY THE BEST BOOK ABOUT THE FISHERY.THERE ARE SVEREAL SECTIONS REFERING TO FISHING IN YOURE AREA.ANYWAY IF THEY COME FROM THE SOUTH,WHICH WAS THE THINKING FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS THEY SHOW UP FIRST NORTH
OF THE BIGHT AREA SOMEWHERE BETWEEN EAST OF CHATAM AND SEGUIN HERE IN MAINE,TROLLING AT SLOW SPEEDS IS BY FAR THE BEST EARLY METHOD.GOING BACK TO THE MIGRATION ROUTES,RECENT POP UP TAGGING SHOWS THAT THE GULF SCHOOLS ARE TYPICALLY NOT THE FISH WE ARE SEEING IN OUR WATERS,BUT MID OCEAN FEEDERS THAT MIGRATE NORTH AND THEN EAST TO THE MED AND BEYOND.THERE ARE LIKE ANY SUBJECT HUNDREDS OF THEORIES ON THEIR BEHAVIOR,BUT THE FACT THAT REMAINS IS THE ARE FISH,ONE OF THE OCEANS TRUE PREDATORS AND WHERE SCHOOLS OF HERRING,MACKS,OR BUTTERFISH OR SAND EELS ARE YOU WILL LIKELY FIND THEM,IN ADDITION WHALES FEEDING IS ANOTHER INDICATION OF FEEDING BLUEFIN.THE BEST HELPERS YOU CAN FIND ARE THE BIRDS,YOU HAVE PROBALY SEEN THIS BEFORE AND THEY ARE BY FAR ONE OF THE BEST "SPOTTER PLANES" YOU COULD HAVE.SATURDAYS COMIN SOON,MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR PERMIT

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
BLUEFIN

Firstmate,
Check the past issues for time in june(late I think) on the offshore reports. The last 2 years some bluefin tuna were being trolled at the 700 line (loran) out of moriches inlet (SE) its about 14 mi. out. maybe more.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sharp temperature breaks are not that common inshore and are a better source of finding fish in the canyons.
Almost all the inshore bluefin I get are by sighting them on the surface and slow trolling small cones and jets behind birds. I seem to do better keeping my pattern far behind the boat and sweeping them into the breaking fish on a turn. I have also caught a few on the blind troll looking for signs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Tred Barta spells it out in an article in one of last years issue of "Big Game" he describes the inshore and offshore migration routes and the signs to look for which dictates which route they take. I do not rember which issue it is in but this is a must have issue for blue fin nuts. "Big Game" is the best mag for the off shore afflicted.
Tight lines, Jim

·
Registered
803 Posts
BigGameJournal

The BigGame Journal is a terrific magazine. The Tred Barta article was Sept/Oct 2001. This is a bi-monthly
pbulication and just great for techniques, experiences and excellent pro articles. And is is very reasonable for the subscription giving you a free
sub to a friend during promo times.
No, don't work for them, don't know them, just really find the magazine the
best regular source of offshore fishing.
Also see Ty's Tuna fishing site. During the season an excellent offshore reports
site.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.