NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a tuna trip for this upcoming fall to the canyons. This will be my first tuna trip. I have a couple of questions for the pros:

What is a good boat to charter out of Montauk for the canyons?

Are Bluefins available in our area (NY)?

Is a Bluefin most expensive than Yellow Fin?

What type of tunas are running in the canyons?

What is the going price for a Bluefin per pound?

Where can I sell mine if I catch one? (Way too much fish for me)

Thanks

G

·
there are many good boats that canyon fish in montauk..look in this magazine and call.....

as for your question about are there bluefin in the NY area yes there are.......so are yellowfin and albacore and big eye

as for your question on price.....the price is set each day...depending on availability of fish caugh

NOW just so you know..a SELLERS license is needed to sell a tuna......or actually to sell any fish...and to obtain that license it is almost impossible now....in fact some charter boats that i know of have given up selling tuna....lots of people think they will go tuna fishing and sell what they catch and pay for the charter....that rarely happens any more.....tuna are scarce and when it comes to selling them most charter operations don't want to get involved....and without a SELLERS license i believe the fine is in the 5 to 10 thousand dollar range on bluefin..

hope this info helps you out....good luck...

capt jack

·
Registered
7 Posts
Many great charter boats are availlable in montauk.Speak to a few and choose one that will take you to the hudson in september.The yellowfin bite picks up down there( before the end of it all).If possible,plan your trip to coincide with 2-3 days before or after either moon.You probably won't be able to possess bluefin that late in the season,and in the canyon you're targeting yellows and albacore,so don't worry about what you'll do with 300lbs of loins.A bit of advice,the loins from the tuna you catch can be vac packed for several months.Cut them into pieces that will just fit in the vac bags and don't steak them until you thaw.I also trim 1/4 inch off all sides after thawed.Hope this helps ,email me with any other questions.If you want a giant in september,go to Chatham or Nantucket,and fish the shipping lanes...see ya there!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The "canyons" are not always the place to be for BFT. My history shows most of my BFT were caught inside the 35 fathom line. Last fall we hit a few in the Mud Hole, HA, chicken, Bacardi and the tower.If you ask around you'll probably find this to be the case. Most skippers sail to the edge in search of YFT, big eye, albacore and the ocassional marlin, If you want to fish the dip or fish tales then sail from Montauk. If you want to fish the Hudson canyon I suggest you find a boat out of Manasquan or Barnaget and save yourself some running time. Remember these skippers are going to sail where they have fish. If there are no fish in the Hudson they may sail to Tom's. No need to sell those BFT. It's a thing of the past and a hassel. If your worried about going home with too much fish release them. Take home a few skipjack or dolphin for the table. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
I've been on a few boats for tuna out of Montauk and my best trip was two years ago in October on the Halfback with Capt. Artie Cortez. We were just 25 miles south of the point and were chunking bluefin to 60 lbs and yellows to 94 lbs.
It was wild ,action all day.Thats the boat I recommend,Artie knows his stuff.

"Fishing with an Attitude"

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are great. Thanks for the info. Especially the information regarding the selling license. I wouldn't want to get into any trouble. I could afford the $250 to 300 dollars for a tuna trip, but the fine ($5,000 to $10,000) would be too steep for me. I hope to see some of you guys on one of my trips in the fall. Until then "Tightlines to all"!

ps. I have heard that sometimes when tuna fishing, it is possible to catch Mahi-Mahi(dolphin, dorado). Are there any boats that specifically target Mahi-Mahi? I would like to know. I heard they are delicious.

This message was edited by francim13 on 2-17-02 @ 12:15 PM

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mahi mahi can be found during the summer months in our area hanging below floating debis,Lobster pots.We enjoy good action on light tackle casting below these structures,you can also troll small feathers to find schools of feeding fish.Once you hook up let the fish fight behind the Boat,usually the school will come in close and you can cast to them and have multiple hook ups!

Tight Lines!
Capt.Dennis

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Guys,
I'll second the recommendation for Artie Cortez and the halfback, assuming he's still running the boat next year. We haven't had the mixed Blue/yellowfin runs close to shore for the last couple of years. But if you want Bluefin they are usually close in Mid to late Sept. If you want yellows/albacore/eyes, anytime after june 30 is a good bet for the canyons.

===MakoMike===

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.