NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching the net for info about beginner tuna fishing off of RI. I'm from the Chesapeake Bay area and am relatively new to New England fishing. I've been catching lots of blues and some strippers. My interest is really peaked about tuna fishing though and I'm seriously thinking about giving it a shot this upcoming season. I'd be coming out off of Newport and obviously my first thoughts will be whether my boat can handle this water.

I have a '73 Luhrs 28' flybridge powered by an exremely dependable '88 Chrsyler 318, 240 HP. I have outriggers but no chair. I have the typical light/med weight gear, rods - some with rollers, 30 - 80 lb. range. reels - Penn 309's and a few spinners.

I would love to hear any kind of advice you may have for someone in my position who would like to "test the waters" without spending a fortune. I'm thinking Penn Senator 114's here vs. International two-speeds which I would drool over but simply cannot afford.

Thanks for any advice,

Brian

·
Registered
23 Posts
Brian
So long as your boat is running well , you have a very good start. For school bluefin , you do not need all of the high priced gear , it sure looks nice though. This past year we tallied 100+ cod, 2 makos , three blue sharks , 3 bluefin untold numbers of bonita , skipjack tuna , black sea bass , blackfish and fluke. Saw a dozen whales
and hundreds of porpoises on stellwagon bank. My boat......18' Grady White CC. Time on the water is the key. With two people we troll five rods and with three we troll seven, have been from 30 miles south of Montauk to the dump se of block and all over stellwagon back east of mass. My limiting factor is the weather. The bluefin were caught in the mudhole aest of block island to your south. All I can say is have decent tackle and put in the time. Outlaw

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Outlaw,

I have a few questions. You say that you often fish with your 18 footer 30 MILES SOUTH OF MONTAUK. How many miles is that from your port of origin in New England? Also, am I reading correctly that you catch FLUKE on stellwagon bank?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Doctorfish
Boat sits on a trailer in my garage until its ready to use. When we fish west of block we launch at Barn island in stonington. from there its 12 miles to Montauk. the boat holds 60 gals of fuel and we carry an extra ten on the swim platform , which I have never had to use. My motor is a 150 yamaha that sips fuel. On a good , ie: calm day I can cruise at 30 mph , the boat tops out at 44. It is about an hour and a half to the farthest that I want to go. Fluke were caught at Montauk , and the Rhody beaches. Cod at stellwagon and the black sea bass at coxes. one mako came from the suffolk wreck , the other at the south end of the butterfish hole.Wish I had a bigger boat , will have to wait a few years yet. Trailering does have its advantages though. Also launch at Pt Judith in RI and Scituate Harbers in MA. WE carry a spare everything except motor. Battery , radio , gps and compass, also borrow a friends epirb when more than twenty miles from port. Outlaw

G

·
I fish out of Point Judith also, we dock at Snug Harbor. I agree that you CAN INDEED catch tuna from a small boat. As for rods, reels, etc, unless you want to target giants you dont need heavy tackle to catch the smaller tunas (up to 70 pounds or more, we've even caught them chunking on 20 lb test spinning gear! - what a battle!)
I can also tell you that I have gone out to the Butterfish Hole on a nice day on one of my previous boats years ago & had to follow an ocean going tug back to Block Island 'cause it got so ****ed rough we couldnt make way... so be very careful out there!
Oh yea, If you see a 30 foot Black Blackwatch boat called "Raven" out there be sure to give us a holler on VHF 65/66

Maury

·
Registered
23 Posts
Raven......thanks for the warning , and you are correct. You have to watch the weather. I always look for a three day window of calm and go on day two. But your words are wise, things can and do change. Need a larger boat like yours so we can fish those marginal days. Pray for tight lines, outlaw

·
Registered
1 Posts
To Brian:
Am looking to buy LUHRS 1974 28' Cabin with Flybridge. Single225 318
Cannot find any info on this boat.
weight____
Cruise Speed___ Top Speed
Does it need a special trailer with 11'4" beam?
How does it handle?
What is a good price for good shape?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.