NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange thing happening with the tuna, IMHO...Last year was a tremendous year for tuna off of Cape Cod and Stellwagen Bank. By all regards,fishing for school tuna was great. Most of the fish were 46-50 inches. It was a great size for the fish.

Last year was a great year as well. Most of the fish were 40-46 inches long.

Two years ago, there were tons of smaller fish around, 30-40 inches long.

If we're seeing a pattern here, we should be seeing two patterns here. Well, in 2008, most of the fish we catch should be 53-58 inches long and pushing 150 pounds. That's a great thing. I can't wait to see the looks on everyone's faces when they hook up to those freight trains, whether they're using spinning rods or we're trolling for them.

But pattern number 2 is for us all to talk about...The fish we've been catching are coming from the same year-class. In 2007, was anyone finding schools of smaller fish? There were some reports of small, very small fish along the Mass coast--small enough to possibly be wayward false albacore. (Cape to Scituate) South of Cape Cod and the Vineyard, what size fish were you all seeing? Up in NH/Maine, did you have different year-classes up there or were you fish the same as ours? How about Long Island/Block Island? Were smaller bluefin showing up in the canyons?

I've heard that the tuna we catch off of the Cape are often cruising back and forth to norhern Spain, but I wonder if the younger fish are staying there instead.

Any thoughts/observations?

Capt. Rich Antonino
Black Rose Fishing Charters

·
Registered
64 Posts
MakoMike wrote:
Rich,
We saw some smaller and bigger fish in the mud hole off of Block during the late summer.

Mike I notice a diversity of fish there. I caught a bunch of nice school fish in the 30 to 35" range I'd say that the majority were small but soem good ones did run through.

Armand

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.