NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at a page I found about all kinds of fish. It says that dogsharks are good if you handle them properly (bleeding, etc). I've eaten dogsharks before which I caught while codfishing, but never cared for them. I'm wondering exactly how do you bleed a dogshark? I've never had the need to bleed a fish, therefore I don't know the technique. Any suggestions?
Here's the addy: dogfish page
(I hope the link works on the new board...lol)

·
Registered
384 Posts
LOL...yes sharks have gills. most sharks have five gill slits on the side of their heads. They may not look like the gills on boney fish, but they serve the same purpose. There are a ton of small vessels in the sharks gill areas that can be severed to bleed the shark out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.
I knew that those slits were for breathing, but I didn't know that they functioned like regular gills. Now I know. :)
Next time I catch some doggies, I'm going to try bleeding them and see if they're any better.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Here"s how we used to dress dogs to ship to the market: Put em on his stomach, grab tight over the gills, cut down and back, starting just behind the gills. With some practice you will end up with all meat and no guts. They pretty much taste like crap, but this method will bleed and clean em all in one step.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.