NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
i'm looking to build a spinning rod for weak fish
I don't want to break the bank on the blank any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
i thought about lami,and pac bay.
also a good blank for a li sound bucktail blank
i will be using 15 lb test.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
CaptGaryB,
Hi,

I picked up a couple blanks at the Colesium Show. Gottum for Bob's Amity Harbor. Blems. I think they are Lamiglas XS84M. Certified Pro Graphite blanks. 7', 10-20 # test line, 3/8 to 1 oz lures. Real nice!!!!! Now I have to make for Capt John and I to use on Peconic Bay weaks.

Try Lamiglas GBT 841L for Sound fluking, 20 # test line and will handle heavier lead if needed in deep water currents.

Lamiglas CGBT 841L is real sweet. This is a "tri wall" blank.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Neil - Have you had a chance to use the CGBT841L? I have 2 781L's - one spiral & one traditional I've used for worming Weakies with 6oz. I agree that it is a nice blank and will work nicely for Fluke, Flounder and Porgies/Sea Bass when you can get away with lighter sinkers. I love the bend when a fish is on with this rod.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi Billy,

No, I have to build one for myself as a demo.

The fellow I built it for called recently. He loves the sensitivity.

While using it at Montauk for fluke he had to hang 12 oz sinker on it. He said the rod bent pretty good but it did not affect the sensitivity.

Move yet???

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Neil - I have moved, and am living in Staten Island...finally!!! Let me know about more decals.

I like rods that allow me to "sneak" a 12oz sinker on - while this rod is not the ideal rod to be using 12oz, it is nice to be able to use it if need be. That is the great thing about the composites - very versitile when it comes to lure/sinker weights. Wouldn't want to be stuck on a boat with a XC(or S) 84MH with 12oz. I've put 10 on once, and was afraid it was going to break the whole time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hmmm, back to subject at hand. I am currently working on 2 rods for just what you mention. However, I like it lighter (2S66MLF) so I have NOOOO chance of ripping their mouths. My fishing buddy caught a mess of weakies in the 7-8lbs range and never lost one, only complaining that his 6' is a little too short. So I'm gonna surprise him with the 6'6" one.

The blank I suggest for you is a St Croix 2S66MHF (or the 2S66MF). With a blend of glass and their light graphite, you will have a good combination of toughness and not hurt the pocket at about $50 for the 6'6" and the 6'0" goes for $43 at Mudhole (cheaper if you have a tax ID). Remember to build light with not too much finish if you're gonna do a lot of pitching worms or bass assassins. Goodluck and let us know how this turns out.

Billy, glad to hear you moved and best of luck in your new home. See you at the Nationals.

This message was edited by mrsinbad on 2-24-02 @ 11:53 PM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.