NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi great1.

I would check out your local tackle shop and ask their advice.

For under $100 I suggest checking out these manufacturers.
Seeker
Diawa Sealine
Star rods
Shakeseare Ugly Sticks
They have many models to chose from.

There are also many brand rods that I am not familiar with.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Billy40,

I would be interested in getting in on the trip. My time is very limited this time of year, but if the date works, I'd love to go. Email me if you need somebody: [email protected]

Regarding the rod for under $100, I have a Seeker rod that was $110 that is an excellent blackfish rod. I will post the model number when I get home on Wednesday.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi Billy

I would difinitely check out the Codfather for a 6 pak blackfist trip. Capt Mike sails from Freeport.

I sailed with him a few years ago and our mutual friends sail with him every year.

I would be interested but I'm just about done for the year. Maybe next year.

Greqat porgy fishing on Nancy Ann yesterday. A few balcks at end of trip.

Capt John has been doing 1 drop days off shore. Great fishing. Lots of nice size porgys and seabass. Now he is also catching keeper blacks on green crabs.

Have been fishing with a Calstar GX7 with the guides held on with masking tape for the last 4 trips. What a great blank!!!! My friend calls it the "Twisted Sister". (Roberts wrap). It has great stability. All guides are still in place in spite of masking tape wraps.

Take care.

Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
26 Posts
Gama - will E-Mail you and let you know specifics as I find them out.

Will give the Codfather a call as well.

Neil - Twisted Sister, eh?? Spiral wrapped is the way to go. Have you gotten to build any for customers yet? I need someone else to have rods like this so I am not the only one - lol!! I dragged a 10-11 pound Bass for 2 minutes with my 700L. Capt. moved the boat and Elke hadn't reeled up yet so I "helped out". She had 16oz on and I thought that was why it was so heavy. The rod was fully loaded and completely stable. I find myself looking at how the rod performs more than anything else when I'm fishing. The problem with that is that I am always paying attention to Elke, and not my line, cause she's catching and I'm not!!

With masking tape who needs thread wraps?? Next time just get a rod clamp - no need for grips either!!

Billy

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Try the Seeker East Coast #BA 85-7'C. It is an excellent rod for most blackfish applications--It might be just a little light to use when the real bruisers are around. I fish a Pro Gear 541 on mine, but a Penn Jigmaster will suffice.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Hi,

I use the shakespear tiger stick bwc 2202 for blackfish. Rated 30-60lb mono. Around $30-40. Very fast taper with a good strong but section and no nonsense ss guides that stand up to the synthetics. This rod can take the abuse and I put mine to the test (stepped on, 16 oz sinkers landing on it, etc). I have a ABU 7000 on it with 50lb power pro which is a nice match. the ABU 5600 will also work with less lb test line. If I didn't already have the abu's I would look at a newell matched for the rod.

This rig is also an excellent jigging rod for bass and blues.

I found blackfishing can be hard on tackle and you should look for a rod (costom or production) that can take the abuse and that is matched for the reel, line and fishing conditions.

Everyone has their favorite rig and what works for one person may not be best for another.

Capt. Marc

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
TOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOG!!!!

Gama, I'm setting up (well trying to) a charter for blackfish probably on Dec 8th out of NJ. Quite a few memebers of SOL will be going. If ya interested, drop me a line.

I just bought a GLoomis SWR844C and Penn 965 to attack the togs with. First time using it I nailed a 5lb pool fish :) Now thats the way to break in a rod huh?
As to a rod under $100, I would also suggest the Shakespear Tiger sticks especially if you'll only be making a few trips out for em.

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.