NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been using Mustad-Virginia Hooks #4 for years for blackfish. The cost of 100 hooks are $8.55. I tie mine own rigs with 40-lb test leader material. I have done very well with them. Some 10 and 12 pounders were caught with these hooks.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Like JackFish, my goto tog hook is the old reliable Mustad Viginias. I've tried Owner and Gama octopus circle (sizes 2, 3, and 4)hooks this past winter. They worked exceptionally well. However I did have one Gama octopus circle snap on a big tog. They're also a little trickier to work into the bait, but worth the effort.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I'll stick with the Virginia style hooks. However, most tackle shops sell snelled 6's - 4's. I prefer the larger 3's and 2's because the smaller hooks bend out on big fish; thus, I snell my own, save a few cents and catch bigger tog. By the way you can order these larger hooks through mailorder such as Terminal Tackle in King's Park.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I do a ton of blackfishing. I snell my own using 60 or 80 lb leader and #3 or #4 Mustads. I tie the leaders a little shorter than the pre-packaged hooks you can buy. Seems to work fine and you don't break off any big fish b/c of the hooks or leaders. The 60 and 80 lb leader let's you take a little rubbing and fraying and still stay strong.

Snelling your own hooks gives you something to do the prevent cabin fever and also saves money!

my two cents

Fatal Attraction

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.