NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on a blackfishing trip recently on the Capt.Al..(great boat/crew) A real sharpie there was hauling them in left and right while the rest of the gang was catching at just a moderate to poor rate. I took a peek at his rig and im not a hundred percent positive but I could have swore he was using circle hooks. His buddy was not doing so well and was soon convinced by this sharpie to give his hooks a try. He did and wham he was onto fish left and right as well.
Does anyone here have any experience using circle hooks for blackfish? If so: what size is recommended? Do you set the hook or is it like using corcles on stripers? (let the hook do the work) And if your preference in hooks for blackfish are not circles, what is and for what reasons? Thanks in advance for the responses. Tight Lines...Stay Warm.

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
Maybe the guy was using a beak hook (slightly curved point but not a circle hook). I wouldn't be surprised if there circles, but I wouldn't use circles for blackfish. Blackfish have such tough mouths you have to set the hook good.

It's also likely that either the guy was baiting up differently than others, he was using a super braid line that let him feel gentle touches better, or simply the spot he was fishing was better located over the wreck than the spot you were. When it comes to wreck fishing, location on the boat can make a major difference because of how the boat sits over the wreck and therefor where on or off the wreck your rig ends up.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.