NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried using blue claw crabs as a bait for blackfish? A friend of mine owns a fish market and has offered to give me the perished blueclaw crabs that can no longer be sold to customers. I'm assuming if blackfish love fiddlers and green crabs, blueclaws would be gourmet to 'em. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks in advance for any shared info!
Tight lines!!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I might be wrong, but I believe the angler that caught the world record tog exclusively uses blue claw crab claws. I've used em in a pinch and have caught fish on them. Just seems fiddlers and greens catch more...maybe only the old LARGE whitechins will dare to eat those claws.

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have tried blue claws with only lackluster results. My hierarchy for fall blackfish bait goes like this: Hermits, calicos, stones, greens, fiddlers, clams, blue claws, sand worms (just my humble opinion). Also, I don't like the idea of starting out with crabs that are already dead as I like a fresh bait. If you decide to try them let us know how you do.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses fellas...I plan on giving the blue claws a shot in the upcoming months and will make sure to post the results.
Grandpa white chin here I come! Tight Lines!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.