NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE OTHER DAY WHEN I SNAGGED 39 BUNKER I PUT THEM IN MY HATCH INSTEAD OF THE TANKWELL..NOW THE INSIDE OF MY HULL LOOKS LIKE THE OJ SIMPSON MURDER SCENE AND STINKS LIKE ****..ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO CLEAN IT OUT..ESPECIALLY WITHOUT A HOSE SINCE THERE IS A WATER SHORTAGE...I KNOW I'M SETTING MYSELF UP HERE FOR SOME BIG TIME "NEWBIE" LAUGHS...LOL

·
Registered
56 Posts
SORRY ABOUT THE MISSHAP DUDE

magila:
Sorry about your misfortune, listen, take a 5gal pail fill it up half way with warm water put 1/2 cup of lestoil and puor it down the hatch. Take a scrub brush, preferably with a long handle, a toilet brush will do and scrub it the best you can. after you finish scrubbing empty the water from the hatch and place some fresh water with lestoil again. This will ensure that the bad smell will go away. Leave the lestoil water in for about a half hour then empty and rinse with clear water. Leave the hatch open and let it dry on the sun.

Polo

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm thinking set fire to it. I wear neoprene and have a neo spray skirt and after a couple bunker it has quite the stink that really stays with you. Lestoil probably a good idea, bleach or real strong cleansers might degrade the plastic in the hull. Make sure to rinse it really well with clean water. If you what to keep bunker you should put them on ice the second you get them off the hook.

·
Registered
644 Posts
why snag 39 bunker ??

were you planning on fishing out of the kayak for a week or more ?

39 bunker would make about 200 cut bait pieces, thats enough for 6-8 people to fish with.

take what you need, not what you can.

for cleaning, get a big bottle of lemon juice and slosh it around the inside of the kayak after you do the soap thing. the lemon will kill the bunker smell.
good luck.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE GUYS..I KEPT THE BUNKER BECAUSE I GENERALLY FISH THE SHORE AT NIGHT WHEN THE BAIT STORES ARE CLOSED. I FROZE THEM AND WILL NOW HAVE BAIT FOR THE NEXT FEW WEEKS ( I FISH ABOUT 4-5 TIMES A WEEK. I GAVE A LOT OF THEM AWAY TO THE OLD TIMERS THAT FISH GREAT KILLS EVERY DAY. IM SURE THE OTHER 7 BILLION BUNKER THAT WERE THERE WONT NOTICE, BUT I'M SURE THEY THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONCERN

·
Registered
446 Posts
Magilla, what you need to do to get rid of the stench (I did the same thing w/ my explorer) is pour some bleach in there and some water. Pour it in (say like 2 cups bleach and 2 gallons water) slosh it around, let it sit, slosh it around some more, dump it out and rinse. If you don't have the hose, use a bucket from the sink. Trust me, this is what you need. The STENCH is caused by bacteria, nothing else will work. No greasy soaps, no scrubbing, no huge amount of water needed. I think these things are made of recylced Tonka toys anyway, cant imagine bleach would hurt it. Please correct me if you know this is wrong, as I use bleach often.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I THINK BLEACH IS THE WAY TO GO...I THINK ILL ATTACH A STICKUP TO THE BOTTOM OF MY HATCH COVER...LOL SOMETIMES I SUPRISE MYSELF ON HOW I CAN BE SO DUMB..LOL ( I DIDNT REALIZE THE HATCH INTERIOR WAS THE WHOLE INSIDE OF THE HULL) ILL GIVE IT A TRY TOMORROW AND LET U GUYS KNOW

·
Registered
35 Posts
For an easy way to clean your Yak, first find a gas station which has one of those High Pressure Car Wash Machines. Place your coins in it, and blast away. The soap is harmless, and the high pressure should peel that bunker stench right off the side walls.
Good Luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
Magilla,

I guess you learned a valuable lesson of not doing that again, huh? After you're all done with the washing, hang one of those Pine Tree air fresheners inside your yak! ;) Oh, btw how did it feel with 39 bunkers tapping on your butt?

·
Registered
644 Posts
MAGILLAGORILLA

sorry i had misread your post.
i thought you left 39 bunker in your yak to rot.
thus my comment of, take what you need.

by all means if you need 390 bunker take them, i have no problem with people using a resource, it is just wasting a resource that is silly.

what i want to know is,
will i smell you before you before i see you in GKH ? lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
From WS website, their cleaning and care instructions.

"Clean your polyethylene boat periodically. The surface of a polyethylene hull contains tiny pores that can trap dirt and road tar. Use Simple Green™ and a pressure washer to remove this grime. Apply protectant (303™ is good) periodically to protect your kayak from harmful UV rays."

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
don, no prob, i think i got the whole smell out...if not ill try the lemon juice, ive heard that lemon juice gets the smell out of your hands but i tried it and it didnt work for me. the lemon joy and white distilled vinegar trick does work on the hands but i think vinegar is too acidic for plastic..plus, who wants their yak to smell like a salad!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.