NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of the fishing on the Big Jamica. What are they catching, any cod. I am planing on going next week. Any information on tackle, gear, bait, etc would be helpful.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I haven't been this winter, but I done the trip several times in the past. It's BIG seabass, more BIG seabass and then some more BIG seabass. The are usually get a couple of nice pollack, cod or hake too, but they are the exception, not the rule. For tackle I'd go with a 3/0 or 4/0 sized reel (doesn't have to be Penn) with 50 pound test--braid is better, but mono is just fine. For lead bring, 8 to 20 ounces. For hooks I like the Gamakatsu 2/0 or 3/0 baitholders. Bring a sleeping bag and pillow and dress WARM. Slicks and boots are a must because once you are wet in the cold, you are done fishing. Bring a good size cooler to accomodate a large cod or pollack, not to mention that 25 jumbo seabass take up a lot cooler space too. Fish will usually average 2-3 pounds with many fish over 5 pounds caught. One more note, it seems like each time I go there are a couple of guys that get sloppy drunk. If you see this happening move to another part of the boat and avoid the aggrevation.

Gamakatsu

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.