NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have some exciting forums at the NYSF Show at the Freeport Rec Center this weekend. Phil Kozak, Chairman of the RFA Ad Hoc Tuna Committee, will host a BFT strategy session Sat AM on fighting the current regs, and also hold a forum on downrigging for tuna.

Phil has been very active through the RFA in working with NMFS in developing reasonable BFT regs. Unfortunately NMFS just reduced the 2008 daily catch to one 47" to less than 73".

Phil is willing to host a round table discussion Saturday morning before his presentation to bring us up to date and help develop a plan to fight this stringent allocation.
He will be attending a meeting with NMFS in March and would like to have any input we can give.
Many of you may not care much about BFT, but if the BFT are around this year like a couple of years ago you will wish you had taken the time to give your thoughts Saturday morning.

Shoot me an email at [email protected] if you want to attend this 60 minute strategy session.EVERYONE is welcome and needed.

As to the fishing forum itself, this downrigging approach is a tactic not used much up here but is powerful off the Carolinas. His presentation is Saturday from 11:15-12:15. He will have free one day Roff's temp chart giveaways thoughout his talk and a one year subscription to Terrafin.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
So you think that a two fish a day limit is "unreasonable"? You left out that the new rags also allow one fish between 26 and 47 inches. What would you consider as resonable, ten fish a day? What about our obligations under ICATT? You want to ignore them?

How much meat can one boat use?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BFT roundtable

Mike:

Everyone knows that ICAAT is flawed in its allocations

I recognize the pressure of fishing, but this is worse that the proposed Fluke regs.The reality is that we have a better chance of catching the schoolies than the mediums in the inshore fishery.

And, you are being a bit dramatic. Who said anything about the numbers you threw out?

This meeting is to gather opinions from the grassroots, then shared with NMFS, then run up to our rep at ICAAT.

If you have some points to make, come on down to the meeting.
This is open to all opinions.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
bigmahi wrote:
Mike:

Yes, But its generally conceded that their allocations are too generous to the fishermen. So what you espusing would make the TAC even more generous than ICATT's already generous allocation?

Who said anything about mediums? All you and I were talking about was schoolies, i.e. fish less than 70 inches. The rule allows anglers to keep small mediums as well, but that wasn't my point.

This post edited by MakoMike 10:59 AM 02/13/2008

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BFT

I was talking mediums.

The only place they are generous is overseas. That is the problem.

I personally do not believe that 1 schoolie or one medium or two or one or the other is generous.

So, I take it you are good with the current 2008 NMFS ruling
for us recreational fishermen?

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
bigmahi wrote:
I personally do not believe that 1 schoolie or one medium or two or one or the other is generous.

So, I take it you are good with the current 2008 NMFS ruling
for us recreational fishermen?

You totaly lost me on that first sentence. Am I good with the proposed 2008 regs.? No. If I were king it would be one medium per boat per day. Leave the little guys to grow up and spawn. Why do you need more than 200 pounds of fish if you're not selling it?

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
KILSONG wrote:
IF I were king, I would ban all giant tuna fishing. :)

Mike, how much chance do you think any average recreational boat has to land a 200 lbs bluefin ?

Kil,
That's not the point, the point is what should they be allowed to keep. But to address your point, the boats fishing on stellwagon routinely catch 200lb fish. The boats fishing the hudson canyon in the spring and the NJ canyons in the fall also catch a lot of those 150-200 pound fish. Keeping 26 inch tuna is IMHO the equvalent of keepin a 12 inch codfish or a 14 inch striped bass.

Watereye,
That is exactly what the 2008 regs will let you do, and those are the regs he's complaining about.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The economics of the GBFT fishery will never allow a ban on giants but I'll cast one vote for Kil for King!

At what length does a BFT become a viable breeder? If we keep killing all of the large ones it stands to reason there won't be as many small ones...

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
KILSONG wrote:
IF I were king, I would ban all giant tuna fishing. :)

Mike, how much chance do you think any average recreational boat has to land a 200 lbs bluefin ?

Anybody that is geared up in a reasonable way can land 200 lb fish.. there were pleanty around last season and pleanty were taken.

I'm not sure if you are saying "has a chance to hook" 200 lb fish or if you are saying most rec boats would loose a 200 lb fish before boating it, but either way there is pleanty of opportunity..

The major limiting factor with rec boats and large tuna seems to be many rec boats are trolling baits that are not really ideal for larger fish, and then when they do hook a larger fish, often they are not using capable tackle and end up loosing the fish..

4/0's and 30's are definitely not the correct sized reel for bluefin trolling in the north.. they might be fun for a 50-80 lb tuna but that's the smallest fish you'll find. Spinning tackle is different as you know about what you are casting at, however jigging with it is just setting yourself up for failure as well..

In regard to regs.. The last thing I want is to be forced to release a "trophy" sized fish.. the tuna permits/regs *are* screwed up. In order to fix them they need to start by putting sharks on a different permit and then allowing time for the rec/com ratio to settle down..

I'd happily give up the little tuna for a gen cat permit, however with the shark's combined on the permit, I'm stuck taking the least of all evils - so I opt for the anglers cat.

Sure we can all get captains licenses and play the loopholes, however we shouldn't have to. A private boat should be able to fish for tuna commercially one day and go sharking for fun on another without breaking a law.

Jon

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
bigmahi wrote:
Mike:

I recognize the pressure of fishing, but this is worse that the proposed Fluke regs.The reality is that we have a better chance of catching the schoolies than the mediums in the inshore fishery.

And, you are being a bit dramatic. Who said anything about the numbers you threw out?

This meeting is to gather opinions from the grassroots, then shared with NMFS, then run up to our rep at ICAAT.

If you have some points to make, come on down to the meeting.
This is open to all opinions.

The smallest fish I saw last season was about 48 inches up here and there were pleanty of them.

If the trend continues as it has the last few years, this season I expect the most common tuna will probably be 52 inches or so on the fork.

Lets also keep in mind these are all very small bluefin tuna; the commercial fisherman often argue that we shouldn't be keeping < 73 inch fish at all, and honestly I think they've got a point.

Jon

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
leakyrivot wrote:
A private boat should be able to fish for tuna commercially one day and go sharking for fun on another without breaking a law.

IMHO thats the problem in a nutshell. You are either commercial or recreational. How many 200lb Bluefin does a rec need to take home for dinner?

I also dont think a Rec should ever have a GIANT on the boat. The only reason they would have one is to sell it.

Guys are too worried about paying for fuel than saving a resource.

Too many guys want to have their cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
BigMahi wrote:
Unfortunately NMFS just reduced the 2008 daily catch to one 47" to less than 73".
Bigmahi, your statement is not entirely accurate, and a bit misleading. After reading that one may think they can only harvest 1 (one) BFT per trip. That is not true,.....that is not the 2008 daily catch.

BigMahi, please read below,...... note that you are permitted 2 (TWO) fish.

MakoMatt

Effective February 10, 2008, through December 31, 2008, the Angling category daily vessel/trip retention limit will be one school BFT (27 to <47 inches) AND one large school/small medium BFT (47 to <73 inches). This limit applies to vessels permitted in the HMS Highly Migratory Species (HMS) Angling category and the HMS Charter/Headboat category (when fishing recreationally).

This post edited by MakoMatt 05:17 AM 02/15/2008

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
MisterX wrote:

IMHO thats the problem in a nutshell. You are either commercial or recreational. How many 200lb Bluefin does a rec need to take home for dinner?

I also dont think a Rec should ever have a GIANT on the boat. The only reason they would have one is to sell it.

Guys are too worried about paying for fuel than saving a resource.

Too many guys want to have their cake and eat it too.

No you are not commercial or recreational. Clearly that is not the case and has never been the case.

Pleanty of guys fish for stripers or cod commercially rod+reel in a certain season and then fish for them recreationally the rest of the season.. and they do so on the same boat without conflicting with any regulations.. it's not even illegal to switch from commercial to recreational on a trip to trip basis (which is common).

Pleanty of people have a hobby which makes them spare $$ on occasion.. there is nothing illegal about bouncing from a commercial to a recreational activity in general.

And without a doubt there is nothing stopping anyone from working on a dragger and then catching the same species the next day via rod+reel for dinner.. As ignorant as it is, even the tuna/shark permit is only limiting the boats activities and not the fishermans.

So we all need to own two boats? That gets you around the regulations without any trouble.

If we want to troll for little tuna we take my boat with the anglers cat; if we want to chunk for giants we take my buddies boat with the gen cat.. if we want to go sharking we take my boat.. What is that regulation really accomplishing?

For tuna I'm not even saying we should allow commercial and recreational fishing off the same boat.. I'm just saying I should be able to fish for one animal recreationally and another commercially off the same boat without having to play games with regulations..

Sharks and tuna are not managed under the same regulations or permitting system otherwise, why is recreational sharking wrapped into a tuna permit and/or why can't a commercial tuna boat take one shark a season?.. Either would be an acceptable compromise but the current regulations are not acceptable.

And it's *one* giant per year for the anglers cat, which makes alot of chum and bait, which sure comes in handy for my recreational sharking as do any school tuna I catch. If a commercial boat can keep 3 giants per trip then 1 per year for a recreational boat seems pretty **** reasonable!

It would make no sense to have a seiner wrapping up 300 giants in a single pull while a recreational boat 200 yards away is required to release a once in a lifetime giant, all in the name of conservation.

I don't eat fish to speak of, and definitely not tuna besides a little sushi, however they do make great chum and if/how I use them is beside the point.. it's a very sustainable fishery (recreationals and giant bluefin anyway).. I'll take a prime rib over a tuna steak any day but the real value in harvesting tuna for me is all that blood and oil in the water.

Jon

This post edited by leakyrivot 06:26 AM 02/15/2008

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Your post is all over the map...:confused: and your mixing apples and oranges.

Plain and simple:

My point is the guy who fishes for a HOBBY should NOT be allowed to sell his catch...PERIOD!

AND

If he catch es a giant and makes it into chum, he should have his boat, rod and reels taken from him and given a 1 year suspension from fishing to think about how wasteful his actions are.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BFT Roundtable

Eveyone has to settle down here. It is like a bunch of lawyers nickpicking details.
This call to action is to have a roundtable discussion on the BFT regs
( see below)so Phil can bring our feelings to NMFS officials.

I simply pointed out comments on the 47-73". But ALL sizes are open to discussion at this meeting.

Capt Harry Weinblatt, who gave a great presentation at the Freeport Tuna Club on Tuna fishing last season will give a shorter presentation tomorrow at 10am.

Hopefully he will join us at 12:30 Saturday for this roundtable after Phil's presentation. Freeport Recreation Center. Come support the
NYSF efforts in general this weekend.

Hope to see you there!

Here are the most current regs overall for us:
Effective February 10, 2008, through December 31, 2008, the Angling category daily vessel/trip retention limit will be one school BFT (27 to <47 inches) and one large school/small medium BFT (47 to <73 inches). This limit applies to vessels permitted in the HMS Highly Migratory Species (HMS) Angling category and the HMS Charter/Headboat category (when fishing recreationally). This action does not change the annual Angling category retention limit of one large medium/giant BFT (73 inches or greater) per vessel.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
BigMahi wrote:
Capt Harry Weinblatt, who gave a great presentation at the Freeport Tuna Club on Tuna fishing last season will give a shorter presentation tomorrow at 10am.
I hate to sound like a lawyer nickpicking details but isn't Captain Harry's seminar at 12:30pm - 1:30pm??? :confused::confused: I think Captain larry is giving his "Monster Shark Fishing" seminar at 10:00am.

Also, you said yesteray the round table duiscussion was 11:15am - 12:15pm now you say it's at 12:30pm when Captain Harry is doing his seminar????

What's the story Bigmahi???? Inquiring minds would like to know.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

MakoMatt

This post edited by MakoMatt 12:02 PM 02/15/2008

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.