NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much can you save by buying a boat in the off season, is it worth it? Also is now the time to buy or maybe after the holidays,
thanks for any input on the subject.
Alan

·
Registered
79 Posts
Scalawag..I dont know if you are looking new or used but i bought my used 1990 grady one year this december what i found after looking for some time that the prices of boats came down considerable from the prime boating season.Also there are not many people looking this time of year so the seller is more likely to be negotiable with there price, and it give you more time to find exactly what you want.I got a great deal this time last year,and the economy is worse now that could only help..hope this helps..good luck CMR

·
Registered
457 Posts
Theoretically, sellers should be motivated. After all, they don't want to pay to store a boat they won't be using next Spring. My wife will tell you that no time is a good time to buy a boat. I on the other hand, think that any time is a good time to buy a boat. Of course, my opinion is slightly biased. I got my first boat last year at the end of July & I think it was a fair deal. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Stephen Byrne
NY Bight Editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
76 Posts
Scalawag,

I boat my boat and the end of 1999 and bought new. I had the same boat priced earlier that year and get a better deal in the fall. I don't know what you are looking for but Strongs Marine is offering 0% finance, that is something to look at. In any event I agree with the other guys, towards the end of the year, if buying used, you have more bargaining power. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sold my old one last week and Im looking for a little motivation here. Thanks for the replys. Gotta tell you Steve when I read the line about your wife saying no time is a good time to buy a boat I nearly fell off my chair, very funny.
Also striper 21, Im pleasntly suprised that those 0% deals are being offered for boats, that is pretty amazing considering boats being thier considered recreational and all.
Looks like the truth of the matter is theres never been a better time to buy a boat then now!!
Even used.
Im really psyched to get back into the game and pee away all my $ on gas, bait, tackle, insurence, storage, dockage, repairs,
Not to mention all my time. Oh well, you only live once. Might try the trailering thing in 2002, havent done that for 20 yrs. when I had a 17 Checkmate.
thanks again,
Alan

·
Registered
58 Posts
Start by writing down what you want in a boat. Then take your time and look at a few. Go on the internet and look at boats for sale in publications, you will educate yourself and get a feel for the market. Then when a deal shows up you can jump on it. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Knot me, good point but If I buy new I wouldnt worry about the test ride.
Plugger, Im cosidering many options as far as size goes. My parents have a carport where I can park up to about a 16 fter. If I do the trailer thing which is attractive because of the $ you save over the dockage/storage thing not to mention no bottom paint is a big plus.
But If I find a deal that I cant refuse on a lets say, 19 - 21' Stieger, Proline or other quality CC's with Japanese power then Ill go that way.
As far as smaller boats that you can poke around the inlet with goes , Edgewater makes a 15 thats 1250 lbs built like a tank that draws like 9" .
Maritime skiff 16 is impressive too has a 7'6" beam tall gunnels, then theres the BW Montauk , maybe a 17 Scout.
The best deal would be a 17' Carolina Skiff semi v, cc with a 70 yammie. The boat would fly& set up with decks and consoles ect bet it would be around 11 grand new. Those boats are as simple as it gets , I had a V1980 & a V 1965 couple years ago and thier solid light skiffs that'll get you out there.
Anyone got a "great" deal on a quality CC with no engine or brand new japanese outboard only email me,
Alan

·
Registered
404 Posts
scalawag,

if i were going to buy new, i would make every effort to do so at this time of year to get the best price.

buying used this time of year should also result in the best price, however, there is a much better selection of used boats offered for sale in the spring (especially for smaller boats).

by all means, start shopping now for used boats too, but don't be too surprised if you have to wait till spring to find what you are looking for in a used boat.

good luck in your search.

set,
opinari

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Hi,

If your after a new boat, you may want to wait til the NY boat show. I would bet they will be making really good deals with all the compatition and the state of the economy with low intrist rates. After the boat shows, those who moved up (or down) will be looking to get rid of the old before the new comes.

In the mean time keep looking. You never know.

Capt. Marc

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Plugger,
would have a picture of the mako you can post or E mail me??

& thanks for all replys, good point about potential boat show super bargins Capt. Marc,
Alan

This message was edited by Scalawag on 11-21-01 @ 11:09 AM

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.