NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know durin gthe season night time and dawn and dusk are the best times to fish especially in the summer. bass like to feed under the cover of darkness, but in the early spring(late march-april), the water is warmest around noon during the hottest brightest part of the day. in the spring the bight revolves aroung tempature breaks and where the water is warmest, and where there is bait. so in the spring, when the water is in the high 40s low50s, is fishing for bass in the back bays best during the warmest part of the day or after dark when fish can feed under the cover of darkness, dawn which is really good in the fall and late spring, or dusk, when the water will be warmer than after dark and at dawn but is still a period of low light.

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
I've had good luck around high tide and beyond in the back bays when the water is doing good and during the ebb tibe on the front side for some reason, I think they wait for the water to thin out and get caught up in that strong outflowing current with not much water to hide. Night or day. Bait presense is key like you said

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I have a crazy schedule and can go out fishing for a few hours a few times a week during the day - where I can't pick the time of day to target a particular stage of the tide, as well as after work when I sometimes try to hit the best tides. I find I can never predict how the fishing will be. I had fantastic days at the completely wrong tides and in the middle of the day and got skunked at dusk on perfect tides.
I am sure that statistically you can pick a best stage of tide and time of day for a particular location, but the variability is so high that it pays to go whenever you have the chance to go. The more time out there the better you will do.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I guess your question revolves around the tides of late March through mid April. The tide, wind, and time of year are dependent on the structure that you are fishing at any time of year. There are very few general statements about tides, as you must realate it to the present conditions. However one of the few I can think of for this time of year is ebb current at the mouth of North Shore drains at dusk. Must drains consist of mud bottoms, and with a tide of 8? or more on the north shore these drain bottoms are usually exposed at low tide. A low around mid day, and a high out at dusk is USUALLY a good bet at most of these drains. Usually during low ebb there is just not enough water there to hold fish. High ebb at dusk would yield the highest water temps of the day and there would be enough water there to hold fish. Look for sunny days, with SW winds at most NS drains. North winds will make most of them dirty and cold. SW will increase ebb current and keep the water flat and warm, which is key at this time of year when fishing most NS drains. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I find consistancy....

April-May
4-6am as soon as the sun comes up it's over, like a light switch. As things get to the end of May the blue take over first light. Got to find the sand eels though to better your chances.
Sunset for schoolies on small bucks
10pm-12
I prefer an hour before high to 2 hours after the outgoing in these slots. Although if you find a pocket of bait that just stays in one spot for a week, you can fish that spot at any tide at those times and produce.
Cold fish are lethargic and slow presentations work best for me. Sand eel and adult bunker are on the menu where I fish and a large plug and teaser can satisfy the mix. Obviosly, as things warm up and the cannonbal splashes start happening it's plug time.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
South shore in the spring, outgoing tide into sunset or sunrise, outgoing at night, but you need to find the bait first...the bait will be and stay in warmer waters. Keep in mind. warm water moves around with the tide. You need to figure out where it warms up and where it flushes too.

Have you ever been in the water and felt a sudden change in the water temp, that?s the train you're looking for?.;)

This post edited by LeoDA 05:27 PM 02/06/2008

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.