NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone care to shed their opinion on where to catch 20lb bass or larger on a regular basis? (regular meaning you have at least a decent chance of seeing one)? In jersey I usually don't see many over 15. All the big fish it seems are on LI or Mass. I'd like to here where.

·
Registered
831 Posts
SF---some real cows, including a couple of 50s, have been culled recently along LI's south shore open beaches, too. It's mostly a chunking game, and fresh bunker is your best bet. I normally don't have the patience to hold a bait rod, but that seems to be your best bet for a good fish right now.

Bucktailing the inlets is the best shot for getting something decent on an artificial. Several years ago, also, a 64 was taken at Shinne**** on a Superstrike darter. Another 50+ was caught and released earlier this fall at Montauk, on a needlefish. But, bait seems to improve the odds in your favor at the moment.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You mean right now or if you had to pick one spot and stick with it day in and day out? If right now, I agree with Mike P; otherwise the Cape and Islands- specifically canal, outer beaches, and MV. With any luck you may have a week or two of big fish in NJ in Dec. (even Jan. at the rate we're going), so don't put away the rods just yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your best bet for consistantly pulling fish over twenty pounds would be to fish Montauk Point, or any of the south shore inlets. If artificials are your bag, bucktails have to be at or near the top of the list. Top water plugs would have to put pencil poppers up there. Metal lip swimmers too. If you want to up your chances for cows, use eels. Now you won't be able to throw them for the entire tide, so concentrate on the last of the incoming or the bottom of the out going, when the water slows down. For best results, throw them at night. Bluefish love them too, so throw them after dark, and bring more than a couple. Bluefish can chop up a dozen eels in as many casts. Bunker chunks are up there too, as are clams. I don't care to use clams, but they do catch a lot of bass. You'll catch a lot of school sized fish with them, but they will take fish over twenty. Structure (rocks), moving water, drop offs, rips, and access to deep water are the keys to finding bigger bass. Also, bigger bait usually attracts bigger bass. Adult bunker, herring, shad, small bluefish, blackfish, etc., are fodder for cows. Think like a bass...you will find them. Also, use you eyes and ears to help you tune in to where the fish are. Reports, (even old ones) can be useful for future trips. If they were hitting good on the last hour of the incoming in a particular spot in the spring, it may hold true in the fall. Observe the water during different tide stages, scout out a spot during the day, get familiar with it, learn it, get comfortable with it, then ply what you learned at night or before dawn...that's the best time for your larger bass. The more time you put in, the greater your rewards. Hope this helps to put someone into fish. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.