NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE PLAN TO PERCHASE A BOAT NEXT SEASON. BEFORE I DO, CAN YOU GUYS GIVE ME SOME INFO, I AM NOT LOOKING FOR GRADY OR THEM EXPENSIVE BOAT. WHAT BRAND BOAT IS THE MOST RELIABLE FOR THE OCEAN NOT TOO FAR OUT IN THE OCEAN ONLY THE ROCKAWAY REEF BOAT FROM 21 TO 25 FOOT. I MEANT CHEAP PRISE. LOL LOL I WILL RESPECT ANY INFO YOU GUYS POST THANKS.

· Registered
1,928 Posts
First take it from a Grady onwer.....they are not what they are buttered up to be so your right about forgetting the Grady.

A good "inexpensive" boat is a Dusky. They are not finished off fancy, but they are tough as nails and a good for fihsing. Also look at some older Mako's or Seacraft. You may want to consider buying an older good boat and putting some money into it.

· Registered
2,371 Posts
Best Small Boat.....

Seacraft 23' that come from the late 70s, and early 80s, what they call "Potter Built" Seacrafts.

Mako 23' Inboard.

Aquasport 22 or even better the 25'.

These boats will get you home when it kicks up....

EC NEWELL MAN>>>>>

· Registered
4 Posts
Gradysialfish is right !!!

Gradysialfish is right consider an older boat and put some money into it. Most boats from the 70's and early 80's where hand laid, and laid THICK. Newer boats are laid with a chop gun. It sprays out small pieces of fiberglass and makes up thickness as they go. There is no continuous sheet of cloth or roven like in the older boats.

I am redoing a 83 Christ Craft 213 Scorpion. I opened up the floor because some one had done some glass work and I suspected they had worked on the stringer. Once I got it open ½ of the stringers had broken away from the hull. Someone had fixed one but about 4 more where broken from the bottom. In a newer boat you would have had a crack in the hull. But back then they did not know how strong fiberglass was and they made them thick just to be sure.

I am reglassing the stringers, filling the hull with foam, and installing a new floor. About $1000 in material and a few weekends work, and this boat will be better then any new boat. I paid $3200 for the boat and trailer, no motor. I will repower with a new motor, $12000. For under $15k this boat will be better then new.

There was a discussion on this site about weight and dead rise. Weight play a BIG part in how a boat ride. I know weight uses fuel and slows you down, but when it get snotty you can't beat a heavy boat! New boats are light and they ride light.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
The boats I see listed all have a good rep for being seaworthy boats and because of it had a pretty good proce tag associated with them even used their resale value hold up better than a lesser quality hull. I have a friend who purchased a Larivee from Frank Hunter Marine in Freeport, I've been on that 23' boat in the ocean when other larger and more expensive boats couldn't get past the inlet. He has a CC with a 120 hp Force engine on back and paid less that 16,000 new. I'd recommend the boat for your uses and would give Frank a call to see if he has any tradeins at a reasonable price. The boat rides nice and is economical to run, only negitive is it has a low freeboard so if you have kids I'd stay away otherwise look into it. Great boat!

· Registered
2,214 Posts
I used to fish on a buddy's 23' Seacraft down in Florida and it shamed every other boat in it's class. It was stable, relatively dry and just plain comfortable to fish on. He upgraded from a Mako and it was like night and day...

Gamakatsu

· Registered
1,621 Posts
Seacraft is a top of the line boat and you definently pay for that. Great, great boat but they don't give anything away, Boloranks is looking for an inexpensive boat that gets good reviews from other fisherman.

· Registered
330 Posts
PARKER 21' C/C

I have the 21' center console with a 14 degree deadrise.
As far as ocean fluking and inlet bassin, with that deadrise, it is an ideal boat.
Powered with a YAMY carb 150, the boat doesn't need a lot to get on plane, is good on fuel and tops out around 42 knots.
With the 8' 6" beam, very stable on the drift.
Have put up in white water and the boat handled great.
Can be a bit bumpy and wet with a sea and a chop, but overall very easy to maintain, and a no fuss clean up @ the end of the day.
I do get out on a few Shark trips, weather providing, so a close inshore, light offshore, the boat does more than I need. Has a 95 gallon tank, and since I trailer, I can save a 1/2 to a buck a gallon on fuel and it trailers great with a single axel, and very easy to handle loading and unloading by myself.

Attachments

· Registered
1,679 Posts
Don't forget Proline. The older ones are built like tanks with nice high sides and a deep V. 1986+ or later is what you should be looking at. My normal trip is 15 miles out but mine is only a 17'.

Capt Marc

PS it isn't the size of the boat but the motion of the ocean. Learn the weather well.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
I love the classic lines of the older boats like the 70's Aquasport and Proline, Seems today all the boats have this rounded Blown up look with thick wide sides and corners. The older look was perhaps a bit more spartan but didn't waste any room and built like brick sh*t houses.

· Registered
37 Posts
HEY GUYS FISH WITH MY 2001 22' GRADY HAD THE BOAT IN THE BAY ON A WINDY OCTOBER DAY LAST YEAR WITH WATER BREAKIN OVER THE BOW THERE WAS ANOTHER BOAT OUT THERE FISHIN FOR BASS. ON THE WAY BACK FROM SANDY HOOK I WAS DOIN AROUND 20KNTS ACCORDING TO THE GPS IT WAS BOUNCY BUT THE BOAT KICKED ASS.I LOVE THE BOAT A BIT PRICEY THOUGH. IT IS A BETTER PRODUCT THEN ALOT OTHER BOATS.

· Registered
96 Posts
best small boat for rough seas

I've been fishing with a 22' Penn Yan since 1995. Out to the Cholera, Rockaway Reef....etc. Even went to 17 Fathoms and beyond once. A very nice boat in som moderately snotty seas. I don't go out in rough weather or seas... it's no fun..you can end up like the guys from this years Hudson Shark Tournament.

· Registered
264 Posts
Good Choice on older Boats

I agree with Luhrs32. In the early days of fiberglass boats, the manufacturers didn't know the exact strength of the glass, so they tended to overbuild them to an extent.

I have a 1970 Luhrs 26foot center console, with cuddy that has hand laid woven matting. She had bee used every weekend for the last 15 years and is a solid dependable performer.

What is your definition of "cheap" and inexpensive?? I have this boat listed for sale on the for sale board of this site. There is also a picture and a list of items included. And the $$$$ is negotiable.

· Registered
15 Posts
Best Boat I found for the Buck

After a year of searching I purchased a 220B Angler(www.anglerboats.com) in April. I love it! Center console w/ T-top with full transom/ platform and engine bracket. 8' 6" Beam, 120 gallon tank. High gunwales/ freeboard. I powered it w/ a 225 Mercury OB - 42 plus knots. The cost of this boat is about half what Grady is asking for.

From the CT River I typically run to points off Montauk and Block Island. It's a dry, stable boat that moves when I ask her to.

· Premium Member
10,097 Posts
You guys left out one of the best

What about the older Shamrock 22 & 26' models?

Super H/D glasswork, full keel made of resin and silica sand, V8 gas inboard (Or 6-cyl Cummins diesel) down low in the center of the boat for great stability, sharp forefoot, hard chines and low deadrise at the rear for good wave-cutting and easy-to-push planning ability.

I own an '87 26' cuddy and have yet to fish on a more stable boat this size. With the on-board heat we installed, I can fish it deep into the Winter - till mid-Jan usually and hit those late season 'tog at 17 hard.

Certainly not a speed demon with its 20kt cruise and a little on the wet side, but as good a sea boat as there is in its size range.

It would take an upgrade to a substancially larger boat to get me out of my baby.

Does a 22' come any prettier than this?:

http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/749086/27131584_1.jpg

Also you can drop in the Shamrock Boat Owner's site for some VERY biased opinions on the club boards:

http://www.fishtheclassic.net

FWIW.

rgds, Leprechaun

· Registered
2 Posts
I would put any boat from the mako line on your list. I have spent numerous hours 60-70 miles offshore in a 261 and handled 6-8ft seas with grace. I own a 191 and that has impressed the **** out of me in 4ft seas. Cant go wrong with Mako very dry and stable boats. If you want to spend a lot, look at Regulator 21' or 23' Designed by a former Mako designer..Good luck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.