NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be home recovering from back surgery fro the next couple months and will have some time to read. So, I'm wondering what some of your favorite fishing related books are.

Fiction, non fiction - doesn't matter.

Thanks,

· Registered
430 Posts
"Cod" by Mark Kurlansky is an excellent book. Its the history of the New England codfishery, starting with the Portuguese in the 1400's. It sounds dry, but its not, its fascinating.

"Giant Bluefin" by Douglas Whynott is another great read. It follows the Bluefin fishery, mostly from the point of view of a harpoon boat captain. In fact, after you read it, you'll understand my screen name.

Get better, and I hope these suggestions help to pass the time.

· Registered
707 Posts
Cod and Giant Bluefin were both excellent!

I would also like to recommend "The Hungry Ocean" and "Lobster Cronicles", both are light reading and interesting. "In The Slick Of The Cricket" is very entertaining about Frank Mudus, whom I did meet once at his home in Montauk just before he left for Hawaii. If you like fishing for Striped Bass I would suggest "Fishing With The Bucktail" if you can find it, this is more of a how to book but very detailed. Right now I'm in the middle of "Night Tides" also a light read and enjoyable. If you like nautical adventure I would suggest "Operation Drumbeat" just like "Red October" but it is not fiction -- it really happened. If you like historical nautical adventure I would suggest "Pirate Hunter" very interesting book about the famous New York Pirate Capt. Kidd.

There this should keep you busy, and get well soon.

· Registered
787 Posts
Hemingway's "The Old Man and the Sea". Its short but its a classic and every library would have a copy.

Although its not about fishing, I thought "In Harm's Way" by Doug Stanton was excellent. Its about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis and the ordeal they went through for those five days at sea. The book is a real page-turner.

I thought "Close to Shore" was a real stinker. It was about those shark attacks that Jaws was based on (hey, there's another book - Peter Benchley's "Jaws"). The author spent more time trying to paint a picture of the "innocence of the era" rather than write good flowing, yet descriptive account of the attacks.

· Registered
2,127 Posts
Night Tides

Billy the Greeks (surf\boat\bridge)fishing history, you can order it and have it delivered right from Noreast.com. Some amazing big Bass stories in terms of volume and size. As Billy says in his book, a lot of people reading this will say I'm full of $h!t.
I have no reason to doubt Billy's Bass adventures, but he sure does put up some HUGE BASS numbers year in and year out. P.S. Don't expect to many tips. But if you are good at reading between the lines (shore line that is) you will probably pick up a thing or two.

· Registered
1,938 Posts
(At the) Bottom of the Harbor by Joseph Mitchell

an incredible book of short stories originally written for the new yorker magazine about the docks and wharfs and seaports here in ny from the '20s to the '50s. a lot of stories have to do with sheepshead bay and mention the partyboat fleet and local boats and captains as well as describe the ny bight fishery of the '30s in great detail . good stuff.

looking forward to "the fisherman's ocean" next, just ordered online.

· Registered
1,400 Posts
I second both "cod" and "The hungry ocean." I prefered "The Hungry Ocean" because it was a much more exciting read for me. I also like "Jaws" a lot as well as other peter benchley's, like "Beast" and "White Shark." These last two aren't really fishing related, but have the action and macabre which teenagers liek myself tend to enjoy. Another in this group is "Meg" by Steve Alten, and it's sequel "The Trench." Both are about megaladons coming to the surface of the ocean after living in ocean trenches for millions of years.
See Ya,

· Registered
239 Posts
While Cod and Giant Bluefin are my personal favorites as well, here are some fishing/ocean related books I found interesting:

Working the Edge-Alaskan King Crab fishing on the Bering Sea-a real page turner. These guys are crazy.

Blues- Bluefishing in Martha?s Vineyard sound. Good local interest book with a ton of great recipes.

Striper-Recounts the old shore based striper fishery of NE (nets). Sad, but compelling.

Harpoon Venture-Harpoon fishing for Basking Sharks off the Irish coast. A bit slow at first, but a good story.

Heart of the Sea-Story of the whaleship Essex-the real life Pequod whose story inspired Moby Dick. Amazing.

Endurance-The account of Ernest Shackleton?s failed Antarctic expedition and their amazing rescue/survival. Wow.

Beautiful Swimmers-Blue crabbing on the Chesapeake Bay-won the Pulitzer Prize.

Adrift-True story of a man who spent 89 days adrift in the Atlantic after hitting a whale with his sailboat-absolutly amazing story and a light read. Anybody who spends time on the water should read this.

Distant Waters-Details the raping of the seas by factory ships. Again, sad yet compelling.

Gray Seas Under- LONG-range tugs during the 1930?s and 40?s out of Nova Scotia. These guys were nuts.

The Boat Who Wouldn?t Float-Hilarious story of a trip down the St. Lawrence seaway aboard, well the title explains it all. Very funny.

In the Slick of the Cricket-Story of Frank Mundus, the man Quint of Jaws fame was based on. Another great read.

That?s all I can think of off the top of my head. I take a look at my bookcase and see if there are any other?s I have read that I would recommend.

· Registered
1,489 Posts
Many of the Books previously mentioned are Excellent. all good suggestions. in addition depending on your interests:Any of Frank Daignault's books on surf fishing,"Striper surf", "20 years on the Cape". One of John Coles other books" Fishing Came First "."Bluefin" by Frank Moss is a good adventure book. If you like Montauk from a fly boat-they drive me nuts as a surfcaster -Kaminsky's "The Moon pulled up an Acre of Bass" gives you a sense of the Fall blitz mentality.Most all of the mentioned books in this thread are great reads. Get well soon and be careful with that back...

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
24 / 7

TogMaster,

24x7 on Noreast and my other internet haunts on the laptop is exactly what I've been doing for the last 2 months. When you can't fish reading about it is the next best thing.

I've been fishing for 25 years and I've always been one that needed to put something in the box for it to be considered a good trip - well, I can tell all of you that what I miss most is not catching fish but all the things that go along with fishing. Things like taking a little spray over the bow and having it freeze in my wiskers. Getting down to the boat early and BSing with the guys, but mostly thinking about and preparing for the next trip.

So keep the posts and reports coming. At least I can learn something while I'm mostly horizontal.

· Registered
430 Posts
I have a book by Zane Grey (Gray?) called "Tales of Swordfish and Tuna). Its a big, old, hardcover and it has old photographs. Zane Grey was one of the first fishermen to sport fish for bluefin. The book was written before there were outboard engines or gps or loran. They used bamboo poles and gut or silk line and chased giants around the coast of Nova Scotia. The book is a series of short stories about their adventures, I highly recommmend it. By the way, if you are ordering any of these books Amazon.com offers both new and used books. The used books can be very attractive price-wise.

· Registered
5,302 Posts
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

Read it about a year ago.

The review says

"A classic American novel of regeneration through violence. McCarthy can only be compared with our greatest writers, with Melville and Faulkner and this is his masterpeice"

It's a western set in an ultra violent world where white men are insane bountyhunters, and Indians are the lowest form of life. If you are like me, you will read it in one sitting.

Actually, I just convinced myself to read it again :)

· Registered
1,424 Posts
Not entertaining but an extremely educational read:

The Fisherman's Ocean
"How Marine Science can help you find and catch more fish"
by, David A. Ross.

Everything that you ever wanted to know about the marine environment and then some.

· Registered
1,938 Posts
The Fishermans Ocean by David Ross Phd of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute

"the fishermans ocean" is both entertaining and informative. most useful fishing book i ever read.
i also just read "the helldivers rodeo" a bunch of macho stories about spearfishing the oil platforms in the gulf. those guys are suicidal. well hope your feelin better and got yourself a pile of books to read. at least your holed up for winter, not the fall run. LOL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.