NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
47,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a best burger thread. How about a best Jewish Style Deli. The kind that have knishes, pastrami, tongue, matzo ball soup, franks etc.
Since Miljoy in Massapequa closed I?ve been lost. And Ben?s is too expensive.

·
Registered
21,760 Posts
Capt Ed III wrote:
in the old days i used to go to katz on delancy street. i don't even know if they are still there.:confused: remembered it wasn't half bad back then.

Yup... still there.
Houston and Ludlow Street.
Best Pastrami in the city.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Katz's on the corner of Ludlow and Houston is the clear winner with me. Been around for over 100 years and the best pastrami in the world. The Carnegie Deli ain't bad either if you are in midtown on the west side. On LI, Ben's is good but not in the same league as these two..

Now pass me a full sour pickle please...

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Capt Ed III wrote:
ok one more blast from the past; the stage deli. think it was on 7th avenue & about 53rd. pretty good eats there too. again, not sure if it is still around. used to work a couple blocks from there in midtown when i got my 1st degree many moons ago. great lunches & pastrami too.

-ken

Yep, I remeber the Stage Deli, I'm pretty sure its gone now. In midtown I would go to the Carnegie deli, downtown definately Katz'
In RI I can't even find a decent bagel!

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
HABS wrote:
Katz's on the corner of Ludlow and Houston is the clear winner with me. Been around for over 100 years and the best pastrami in the world. The Carnegie Deli ain't bad either if you are in midtown on the west side. On LI, Ben's is good but not in the same league as these two..

Now pass me a full sour pickle please...

Ditto with Katz!

Anyone try Goldens deli in Staten Island? not awesome but a very good Jewish deli.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The Stage Deli is still alive and well. The 2nd Avenue Deli closed a few years ago, but was reincarnated the past few months and is now open and called the 2nd Avenue Deli again (albeit, it's no longer on 2nd Avenue). It's now located at 162 E. 33rd St. (near Third Ave.). Go figure that one...

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
HABS wrote:
The Stage Deli is still alive and well. The 2nd Avenue Deli closed a few years ago, but was reincarnated the past few months and is now open and called the 2nd Avenue Deli again (albeit, it's no longer on 2nd Avenue). It's now located at 162 E. 33rd St. (near Third Ave.). Go figure that one...
The second Ave deli was an institution on 2nd and 10th for a long time.
They may have a new location but it would be a mistake to change the name.

Years ago, when I sold ticket printing in NYC, I used to sell the numbered waiting tickets to Second Ave Deli for the take out counter. The owner, Abe Lebewohl, would always offer me anything I wanted from the counter. He was one of the friendliest nice guys you would ever want to meet. He was murdered in ?96 by thieves during a robbery. :(

Second Avenue Deli

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
jpd wrote:
MakoMike wrote:

In RI I can't even find a decent bagel!

Or a pizza...or chinese food!

The ain't no chinese food worth eating in the state! We tried all the highly recomended places before we gave up. Now if we want chinese food we go to the Bamboo Forest in Mohegan Sun. Some places have O.K. pizza, but I've yet to have what I would call a good pizza. Most of he people I've met seem to think that Dominos is just fine!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Ben's. Main entre: Oversized Double stuffed Corned Beef and Pastrami Sandwich on Rye w/ Mustard. A Hot Dog w/ mustard for the appetizer. Extra Rye Bread, bowl of Cole slaw or 2. And 2 Types of Pickles w/ Pickeled tomatoes. + 2 bottles of Diet Cream soda. Dr. Brown's. Woodbury or Glen Cove,Long Island.
Heart Healthy Baby!!!:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.