NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about the kind of hooks that should be used for catching stripped Bass and all the parts of the terminal tackle for that matter. I have a couple of questions that some of you may be able to help me answer. For Instance, I see people using diferent size hooks for catching stripped Bass but the book says that I should use the smallest thinest possible hook I am not shure is it recomends a particular size at this point but I would like to know what would you guys say is the most popular size hook for stripped Bass rigs? What brand, Gamakatsu, Eagle Claw? I used to use a 60lb leader, just went down to a 50lb leader, should I use a thinner leader? 40lb, 30lb? Even though I've seen different lengths in leaders I feel comfortable with a 36 to 44 inch leader. I am currently using a 50lb test braided Power line on my 675 International but will change it to a 15 to 17 pound test Andee within the next couple of days. I used the braided line on my spinning outfit and later decided to tested on the casting outfit on account that the power line had no stretch. Now I want to get back to the monofilament for sport.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
I've had good success with a 5/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hook on a 50# leader and fishfinder rig.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gamakatsu 5/0 closed eye siwash hooks with 50lb seaguar flourocarbon leader of about 3 feet....I like the hooks because they are thin...extremely strong and a decent wide gap between hook and shank which makes putting on a 1 inch chunk of bunker easy and leaves a good amount of point of hook protrude for good hook set....

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
For Bass
Hook - 6/0 circle or bait hook
Leader - 20 # 18" from shore
For blues
same only go to a wire leader

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use a 6/0 octopus with a 50# leader. I use the a high rig, the sinker on the bottom and in the middle of the leader, I tie a surgeons loop were I attach my hook. I use 2 swivels, one attaching my main line, and one at the bottom of the leader were I insert a snap to change sinker weights if nessesary. I do very well with this rig and never gut hook a striper. Good luck.

This message was edited by surfjerk1 on 10-1-01 @ 6:39 PM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.