NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the opportunity around mid-May to go for a fluking trip.

Question:
Which is a better location at that time of year?
Ocean Fluke out of Montauk or the North Fork?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hi Wader
I must agree with reelcranky ! The North Fork is the place where you want to be if you are looking for that trophy doormat!

Another "key" note you should remember is…. Use big bait (presentation) for those doormats! Also, if the squids are in the local docks… Your odds will increase if you use a fresh, whole squid! ;)

FYI: There are big fluke roaming the area already…. All we are waiting for is the new regulations and off we go! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
248 Posts
I gotta tell you about another great place for fluke that I think is untapped - North Shore from Huntington to the Nissequogue River. Last year on the James Joseph out of Huntington I got at least 40 fish over 5 lbs and 10 more over 6 with one going 9lbs 6oz. A friend of mine also picked a 12.5 lb fish early in the season. For those of you looking to escape the shorts down in Captree give this boat a shot.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi,

Was reading these posts and started day dreaming.

Listed are many hot spots for big fluke BUT it is the spots that don't get fished that always interest me.

To me to find fluke where no one else fishes is what it is all about.

I kmow that BIG fluke pass thru Port Jeff at this time of the year. We know they all don't get caught or end up in Huntington. Now where do they go???

If I had a boat in Port Jeff and lots of time to play, I would fish all the deep water drop offs. I'm talking up to 90' of water in the summer.

Now before you say I've been out in the sun too long, I have seen large fluke caught on diamond jigs while blue fishing at these depths.

When you find blues feeding on bait I bet the fluke are underneath just waiting for a meal.

Since I don't have a boat over there to try I guess it will stay a dream.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Fencer04 wrote:
… I gotta tell you about another great place for fluke that I think is untapped - North Shore from Huntington to the Nissequogue River. …

Fencer04
That is absolutely true! In fact, that's the same body of fish (doormat flukes) that migrate down to the West end (Northshores) during the month of July and August!

reelcranky wrote:
… can someone tell my how to rig a whole squid. rig/terminal tackle..

As far as the "terminal tackle" is concerned… It all depends how deep and what the current is doing…. but my favorite way to rig a whole squid is by simply imbedding a big hook by it's tail (like a squid strip) tied to a 36" leader (60 lbs. test) tipped on a 50 -75 lbs. three way swivel, and a heavy sinker approximately 6 ounce (pending on dept / current) along the main line (20 - 30 lbs. braid). This method is best used on a conventional outfit!

MakoMike wrote:
Guys, Please fish the north fork, If I ever get out fishing again I want those big fluke still there off Montauk. BTW the netters are getting some really impressive fish right now.

As for the North Fork vs. Montauk… It's a tough call, but when the seasons opens…. It's tough to beat the big North Fork doormats. But when it comes to June - Sept. I think Montauk has a slight edge! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Captneilf wrote:
… Was reading these posts and started day dreaming. Listed are many hot spots for big fluke BUT it is the spots that don't get fished that always interest me. To me to find fluke where no one else fishes is what it is all about. . …

Captneilf
I totally agree with you! The fact of the matter is… The fish are there throughout the summer roaming the bottom chasing bait along the North shore… The most challenging part about it is… "Hunting" them down! ;)

When you get a chance… call me bud!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Al,
Just like anywhere else, you have to find the right spot, especially for the big fish. This time of year the bigger fish can be almost anywhere. Some days you'll find them over by Gardner's (where do you think those north shore fish come from?) other days down the south side. If you find them, you'll have a ball.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.