NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 24' Pursuit Center Console and currently have a Garmin 188C combination GPS/Fishfinder and am looking to upgrade. The screen is too small for me and the fishfinde is not great, I'm also looking to add radar.

I'm looking at the Raymarine C-80 or the Garmin 4208. I actually like the usability of the Garmin better but I have heard that the sounder capabilities of the Garmin do not compare to that of the Raymarine.

Most of my fishing is done at the Race and Plum Gut and the very occasional trip offshore if the weather's perfect.

Thanks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
On my 18' CC I had a Furuno FF and a Standard GPS/CP (no radar). They were both about 6 or 7" screens.

on my new boat (upgraded to a 23' CC) it came with a single Raymarine c70 with GPS and FF (no radar yet but plan to upgrade). I like the Ray system (not perfectly intuitive but not bad) but I feel seriously constrained with the single 7" screen. I don't think the C80 will be much better since it has the same resolution as the C70 but just a slightly larger screen.

i plan to get a second C70 or c80 to add a head for dedicated FF but then I got to thinking....at $1K+ for a second Ray screen why don't I just get a dedicated FF and use the C70 for GPS (and eventually radar)? I could get a decent furuno for the $1K cost of adding a Ray c70.

ymmv

·
Registered
398 Posts
i have the raymarine c80 with a 4kw dome and digital fish finder on my 27 phoenix im very happy with it i overlay the radar right on the gps which is a nice feature with the fishfinder i find it very good all depends on the transducer which will be the case with any finder you get...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have the Raymarine C120 with the sounder module, GPS, and 2 KW radar on my 19' CC. Overall I'm happy with the performance of the unit. The sounder is great, and the radar is very good....but if outfitting another boat I would definately go with the new Furuno Navnet 3D displays with HD radar or Simrad. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have the Garmin 2010C and the GSD-20 Sonar unit. The GPS is great and very user friendly. The GSD-20 I would give a thumbs down. I actually added the furuno 620 unit to my arsenal-Blows away the Garmin. However, I heard that Garmin has upgraded/improved the GSD-20 to a newer model. A bonus with Garmin is their great customer service.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
budget

what's your budget?
lotta options out there...
i prefer furuno for radar sounder and northstar for chartplotter.
The navnet 3D will be coming out soon, that will be sick.. check out that unit!
Simrad makes a great product, but $$$
garmin gps is great, but their sounder and radar

Raymarine makes some nice stuff, but i don't really care for it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
IMHO..........I would strongly advise against combo FF/Gps units. You lose one you lose two. Unless you absolutely, positively don't have the space for 2 stand-alone units stay away from combo units. Not worth the aggravation. Again, just my 2 cents......

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Here we go again...LOL

This topic has been beaten to death, a friendly suggestion is to use the search button and insert fish finders, there will probably only be 20-30 discusions on the same topic.

Including combo units

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you are thinking Raymarine C80, I'd say go for the C120 if your console has room for it. It's worth the extra $. I have one on my 24' Mckee & I love it. I Bot the combo pack, or whatever it's called. W/ 2kw radar dome. I have a Tilted element through holl transducer. Great unit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Look at Furuno's NavNet2s. They just started a rebate program in anticipation of NavNet 3 release. My choice would be Furuno over RM for an all in one unit. I see considerably less problems with Furunos and you will have all your eggs in one basket with a single combo setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.