NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,712 Posts
capesams,

Hi,

I do everything possible NOT to use color sealer/preserver.

I was happy using Clemens Brillance and Flexcoat.

I primarily use Gudebrod HT Metallic thread and it does not require color sealer/preserver.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Capt. Neilf

let's see if I have this right.

I understand you like met. thread
for the under wraps.

for thread over the guide feet
you use reg. nylon. yes?

sometimes I change the color of
reg. nylon by not useing color
sealer.

I tried brill. once before and
went back to flex coat.

what is it you don't like about
the color pres.

I also got some prizm the other
day and did a butt wrap. A little
hard to work with for the first
time.

But like you said WOW!

THANKS-steve

·
Registered
10,712 Posts
capesans

Hi,

I underwrap with HT "A" metallic, apply epoxy and dry brush off excess epoxy leaving a thin coating.

Wrap guide on with black "B" nylon thread. Apply thin coat epoxy as for the underwrap.

Wrap top wrap using HT "A" metallic. Apply 3 coats epoxy. Wait 5+ days, for epoxy to totally cure, and polish rod.

Brilliance has to be thinned a bit. Had bad batch of color sealer/preserver and epoxy would not stick to wraps. Sometimes sealer did not penetrate properly leaqving dark spots when epoxy installed. I don't like how it dulls the nylon shine.

Hope I answered all.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
I used Brilliance 1 and di not like it at all. It, in my opinion did cahnge the color of the thread, and if too much is applied, the it will look milky after the epoxy is applied. This is a water based CP.

What I used and like, is Gudebrod 811S, and Brilliance 2 - from what I can tell it is the same product. Gudebrod owns Clemens. Both are Alcohol based Cp's, which means they can be thinned with Denatured Alcohol. With teh BRilliance 2, you must thin it at this ration - 90% CP : 10% Dentaured alcohol. After it is mixed, see if it is too thick - if so add some more alcohol, and remember for next time you must mix at a 80-20 ratio. I believe the "common practice" is 80/20, but it is better to err on te side of too litle alcohol - especially the first time using.

If you apply too much, it will look like small crystals in between threads - more noticeable on darker threads. After applying, it will set up - you have a short period of time to go bac and wick off excess. If you wait too long, it will start to harden (will get "gel"-ly), and you may have some problems.

I do have pproblems using CP. i am getting better at it, but there are just a lot of things I cannot explain that occur when I use it. Blotches drive me nuts. Thread contamination is another.I'm wrapping a rod with my 11 year old son, and he wanted the Green to stay Green and not "mud". We wrapped teh guide together, and I put a coat of CP. A couple of spots, no matter how had I tried, the CP would not soak in. Of course these exact spots are where the blotches are.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you gentlemen:

For your input on the subject of
cp.

I'll stay with flexcoat 2/3-1/3
distilled water.

that combo seems to work the best
for me. If the cp dries to fast
on the top-the bottom never get's
a chance to dry.

adding water seems to help let
the cp soak in better and more
even.

only if i put the cp on straight
does it give me a headace.

Billy I understand you are
having a new home built. Lots of
luck with that.I hope my pic. in
some way help you out in getting
your rod room set up. I had to
put alot into a very small space.

later-steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.