NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting away for the weekend and catching a few fish. What are my best bets? I am flexible anywhere from Hyannis, Montauk or New Jersey. The weather looks like it will be cold but calm. let me know. HB

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
If you're looking for a local day trip, I strongly reccomend the Shinne**** Star. I started fishing with John last year, and have always had a terrific day, regardless of how many fish I caught. That being said, the boat has been experiencing some pretty good(for 2008 on L.I.) codfishing this winter, with plenty of ling & a few pollack & big seabass thrown in, most days. I did a trip the end of Dec & ended up with 2 keepers, several shorts, and some HUGE ling. How nice it was to catch cod on the south shore again! Best part is, he only takes a max 12 anglers.
I've also heard from others that it looks like Montauk is having a good cod season so far. Actually, I believe the Viking is running a 60-80 mile wreck trip that day. I've always loved those trips, and am actually trying to get the day free so I can go, weather permitting. Good luck whereever you go!

·
Banned
2,102 Posts
Best Bet

That would be the Viking
. Steve always busts his a## to put you over the fish. They have had hi-hooks of up to six keepers with a lot of the fish running anywhere from 8 lbs up to 20 lbs
. Last week they had 2 in the 30 lb class as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Guys,

The Viking is sailing with 2 boats from now on. Last weekend we had both the Star and the Starship sailing for local cod...providing plenty of room for all to enjoy a comfortable day on the water. The fishing was pretty good with fish in the mid 20 class and most fish weighing in at 8-12 lbs. The upcoming weekend has the Starship going offshore on Saturday and Sunday with 2 trips leaving at 1a and returning at 9p. The Star will stay local departing at 3a returning at 4p. Reservations are strongly recommended as both boats were sold out for the Superbowl special trip last weekend.

Hey John...are you coming out this weekend????

·
Banned
2,102 Posts
Can't make it this weekend Anthony

The weekend of the 15th Diane and i will be up in Maine Smeltfishing. I'll put a few packs of Smelt away for you. Preparing to book the "Abyss Trip" and the 3 Day Sept Tuna trip as soon as i assemble the cash
. Hope to finally get out there after the Smelt trip.

This post edited by DandJfish 10:50 AM 02/05/2008

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I booked on the Viking fleet for the offshore trip Saturday leaving at 1 am. It has been a long winter & it is time for an adventure! Hb

This post edited by hairbone 07:33 PM 02/05/2008

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.