NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am new to "surf fishing," and have a few questions for everyone if you guys don't mind answering.

1) I was told by a good friend that a leader is always necessary when surf fishing, especially when fishing for strippers and blues. I have caught blues on my grandfather's boat with just a regular rod and line. Is a leader necessary?

2) I will be using a Penn Power Stick 10' pole, Penn 7500SS reel lined with Ande IGFA Tourney 20lb. If I use a leader, can I use 40-50lb leader or should the leader always be the same lb test as the line?

3) I know this might be a stupid question, but on the North Shore, do you feel Live Eels, or artificial lures are best for strippers?

4) When is the best time for stripers? High, low tide? Outgoing, Incoming tide?

Thanks in advance!

~Joe

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ok, here is my two cents. Always use a leader because the scales/fins/rocks/etc will fray the leader. Don't be shy about a strong leader. At least 30 lb and up to 50. If your using a lighter lure a heavy leader may impeed action somewhat. Blues will try and bite the lure/bait out of the mouth of the fish on the hood and they will bite through lighter lines. I use 40 lb and sometimes 60. I prefer lures to bait because I am not calm enought to bait fish. Bait will almost always catch more but for me it is not as much fun. Many of us use two rods, put one out for bait and cast with the second. Your rig sounds good. I have several Penn Sportfish Big Game surf (9,10 ft) which are really great for the $. I prefer my Loomises. What is the lure weight and line spec on your rod? I fished 20lb all summer on my lighter rods but really prefer 30 esp. if you're heaving bait and weight. I two oz lure is ok with 20 but the same rod/line with a 2,3 oz weight and bait might break on you when casting. If you don't use it within those specs it won't perform well. Eels are great too. As far as tide, depends on where you are. If you fish on inlet both are good. However, right now the water temp in the bays is alittle high for the bass so an inboud might be better. Good luch. Onthefly

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
I will try to respond based on my experience on the North Shore:

1.) I only use a leader when bait fishing - lures get tied directly onto my line. Only exception is if I am knowingly throwing into a school of frenzied blue fish. Then I go with a wire leader.

2.) No personal experience with the rod & reel you are using - although I have heard good things about them. I use a St. Croix 8'.6" spinning rod with 14# Fireline spooled onto a Penn 5500 reel. They work well for me when using either bait or lures. Regarding leader to line rate - probably a good idea to use a lighter leader then your regular line when bait fishing. That way if you hang up on the bottom - you can break pff without losing a lot of regular line & all of your tackle.

3.) Eels vs lures - I have always found bait outfishes lures at least in the area that I generally fish (Nissequoge River). This seems to espiecially hold true at night. Only lures I've had any real luck with are the soft plastics & the occasional cast master.

4.) Tides - again - my location best tides:
Incoming - blues
Outgoing - Bass (more fish of both catagories on this tide)
Different areas are going to have different results. Youy need to try all tides in the location you intend to fish in order to find out which is best for the particular area.

Hope some of this helps..........

This message was edited by wader on 9-27-01 @ 5:42 PM

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the information..

The Rod specs are. 15-30lb line, 2-8oz lure, MH action...

The Reel specs are 300yd/30lb, gear ratio of 4.2:1.

I'll be doing much of my fishing around Shoreham to Wildwood state park with the occasional trip to the south shore.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It sounds like you bought a really nice outfit and it just right for the surf. I use a similiar outfits. My only addition was a rod that was 1 - 5 oz. Most of my lures are under 2 oz except for heavy spoons & gigs. I think you're set! Don't forget about Breezy Point if you have 4wd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.